Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Audio Issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fun \o/

Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Audio Issues

PostSun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello all! I'm relatively new to the forums and I'm having issues with audio. Here's the setup:

1. Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder
2. Canon SL2 Camera
3. MAC

Software: OBS

Connections:

Canon Camera connected from HDMI OUT > Blackmagic Mini Recorder > Thunderbolt > MAC

What works: OBS can see the video (yay!) and I can record no issues.

Problem: When I try to set the "audio" in OBS to "Blackmagic" it sees it, recognizes it, but nothing is being grabbed/captured from the Canon Camera's Audio. I have set the audio input to be "Blackmagic" in the system preferences in the MAC itself as well still no luck. I've tried messing with the "OBS Settings > Audio" to try and modify the Mic input, also no luck.

If anyone knows of something to try, I could really use help. I've been going mad with so much forum searching lol. I'm thinking it's something to do with the Recorder, but I can't find a setting. The Desktop Video Setup doesn't have an "Audio" option to modify.

garthscovill@msn.com

Re: Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Audio Issues

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes, I'm experiencing pretty close to the exact same problem. Yesterday I was recording audio from my Canon camera. Today I'm getting no audio.

My setup is the same: Canon Camera connected from HDMI OUT > Blackmagic Mini Recorder > Thunderbolt > iMAC.

Similarly, I can see the video. No audio. I'm not seeing audio on the iMAC. As in, go to iMAC Preferences > Sound > Input > Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder. Not seeing any audio input. Every other input device on the menu works great. Nothing from the Mini Recorder.

The camera is definitely putting out audio on the HDMI. I connected the camera to the HDMI input of my TV and the audio was there.

Audio and video have been working with his setup for me for years. Canon Camera connected from HDMI OUT > Blackmagic Mini Recorder > Thunderbolt > iMAC. In the middle of a session yesterday the audio stopped. After not being able to resolve the problem I rebooted everything. The audio came back for about 10 minutes. Then nothing. And nothing today.

Uli Plank

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 3:09 am

Could it be the camera is sending 32 kHz audio?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

jonathanm81

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 8:26 pm

Same here. Except I'm experiencing same problems on MinoLive streaming app and audio is just clipping/cutting or what ever you want to call it. – And no audio at all in OBS
BUT. At my desktop computer, which uses Mojave OS there is no problem.. :shock: Driver version is 10.4 And this won't work at all on Catalina OS.

JTownsend

PostSat Sep 12, 2020 4:31 pm

My setup: SlingStudio hub outputs HDMI to UltraStudio Mini Recorder, UMR outputs to Thunderbolt 3 input on iMac, the whole thing works nicely with Zoom. I've been teaching for a week with that setup.

New issue: Without making any changes to the setup, I now only get nine seconds of audio from the UMR before it bails (video's fine). I can 'wake up' the audio by disconnecting and reconnecting the Thunderbolt 3 connection at the iMac, but it only lasts nine seconds each time. Needless to say, this doesn't work for teaching a 90-minute class.

Any ideas on what to try? The nature of this behavior is perplexing to me. Anybody seen anything like it, an audio-over-HDMI connection failing after a certain number of seconds?

Thanks.

Situstarget.com

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 9:09 am

I have some problem, the video showed on OBS, but the audio is not captured from Lumix Camera.

This my configuration Lumix Camera > HDMI > Black Magic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder > Converter type C > iMac Catalina OS > OBS
https://blog.situstarget.com

Uli Plank

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Did you try iShowU Audio Capture?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

EediotRedux

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 am

Did anyone here solve this loss of audio issue?

Return to Post Production