DVCPro support on Windows?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Pat Horridge

DVCPro support on Windows?

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 pm

I notice on the codec list that DVCProHD is supported on the Mac but not the PC platform?
Is there a plan to address this? We have Red support on both (despite no Red codec support on PC)
With Avid Media Composer we have DVCProHD support via P2 plugins.
Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, ACI, ACSR,
VET Production Editing Digital Media Blu-ray DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Mike Squires

Re: DVCPro support on Windows?

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Hmm, I'm pretty sure DVCProHD is supported on PC with Premiere Pro and my BMD Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi Pat,

On the Mac platform, Media Express can gain access to DVCProHD via Apple's Pro Apps package (used in Final Cut Pro, Compressor, etc.). If the Mac system simply has something like Adobe Premiere installed, Media Express does not gain access to this codec, but there are Blackmagic presets within Premiere. It boils down to licensing for the codec and who can do what with it. The Pro Apps package can expose the codec to other programs (like Media Express), but Premiere is limited to use within that application.

On the Windows platform, the situation is the same in terms of licensing. Having something like Adobe Premiere on your system would allow you to access the codec within Premiere, but it wouldn't allow Media Express to access it. This is why Taz is able to use DVCProHD in Premiere with the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. I believe this is similar in terms of Avid's licensing with Media Composer. If you had an application on your Windows machine that was licensed to expose the codec to other programs like Media Express, then I could see this working, short of buying the codec (which I understand is a hefty cost).

I hope this clears things up a bit.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Pat Horridge

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Ah back to Apple and their limiting codecs to Mac only platforms. Nothing new there I guess.
As a PC user and looking at the future and the possibilty Apple will move further away from Pro support in terms of hardware it could be useful to be able t offer PC users the option to buy the Apple codecs as a bundle at a cost. Assuming Apple aren't pricing support for those codecs on PC's in a way to make it prohibitive....
Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, ACI, ACSR,
VET Production Editing Digital Media Blu-ray DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 7:30 pm

DVCPro HD is not owned by apple. It's Panasonics.

I think this is a result of the licensing agreement differences between apple -> panasonic and adobe -> panasonic.

Apple has a license that allows any app to use the codec so long as FCP7 is installed. Adobes agreement seems to limit use of the codec to the Premiere application.

Good news is that you can still capture inside of Premiere. :mrgreen:
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Mike Squires

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:15 am

Don't know if this helps, but I've done different comparisons between DVCPro HD and MJPEG, and find that MJPEG looks better. Since I use Premiere, I have a choice between the two, but I always capture in MJPEG.

Return to Post Production