Teranex 2D with Professional JVC S-VHS deck

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

samsykes

Teranex 2D with Professional JVC S-VHS deck

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi,

I have a Teranex 2D and a JVC BR-S525DXE professional S-VHS deck with component out and in-build TBC, etc.

Does anyone have one of these JVC devices (there are a number of products in the S5xx or S8xx range)? The picture I am getting is not stable at all and worthless. The machine has only 1 hour of use on it, so despite being vintage it is as new.

Can these players use 'consumer' tapes and is there a setting in the Teranex that I am missing?

Many thanks.

Christian Paire

Re: Teranex 2D with Professional JVC S-VHS deck

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 9:00 am

Hello, you need a Time Base Corrector between your player and the Teranex, otherwise you could as well feed it with sand or mud. I don't think the Teranex likes s-video, you shoul go s-video from player to TBC, componant from TBC to Teranex ; Black Burst to the 3 apparatus would be a plus, if the svhs is out of that I couldn't tell if ref is usefull only on tbc and teranex ? Ask seniors here in forum. Regards
I see you're already componant out, sorry ... But an external TBC is a good bet against the internal one.

samsykes

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 10:39 am

Thank you for the reply.

Christian Paire wrote:Hello, you need a Time Base Corrector between your player and the Teranex, otherwise you could as well feed it with sand or mud. I don't think the Teranex likes s-video, you shoul go s-video from player to TBC, componant from TBC to Teranex ; Black Burst to the 3 apparatus would be a plus, if the svhs is out of that I couldn't tell if ref is usefull only on tbc and teranex ? Ask seniors here in forum. Regards
I see you're already componant out, sorry ... But an external TBC is a good bet against the internal one.

The current setup is JVC > Component > Teranex with a BM sync generator to the Teranex and also the JVC. I could try with a TBC, but the JVC does have one inside. I can try S-VIDEO, but I'll have to make up a cable for that, as JVC have a funny connector.

The player has only 1 hour on the clock, so pretty sure that everything is working perfectly. I think it's either than it only likes 'professional' tapes and not consumer ones or that I am being dopey!

Instruction manual would be a bonus! :)

Wim Van Schie

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Unfortunately, the S-video input was not implemented on the Teranex 2D :evil: . The internal video A to D chip (ADV7842) has a TBC and can convert s-video signals, but the BMD design does not use these features.

I have not had much experience with professional decks that require an external sync signal. Maybe locking the JVC deck and Teranex 2D onto the same external sync signal may help. If the JVC deck internal TBC is lining up the scan lines so that there are no wiggles in vertical lines in the image, then you probably only require a frame synchroniser to buffer and output fields/frames with more precise timings so that the Tenanex 2D can lock onto the video signal. Some older Panasonic DMR series DVD recorders connected in "pass-through" can fix wiggly vertical lines and act as a frame synchroniser e.g. ES30v, ES10, ES15, and EH65.

Return to Post Production