Up Scaling with Teranex

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fehraz Lateef

Up Scaling with Teranex

PostThu May 03, 2018 5:01 am

Hi,

I'd like to test a teranex for up scaling, and my local BMD office suggested I get on the forums and see if there was someone here who might be able to help me out.

Is anyone happy for me to send an SD shot to be up scaled to HD and 4K, as a test? What I want to do is compare it to what I can accomplish using software to confirm the difference.

Also has anyone tried outputting from a computer to a teranex and then out the teranex and into another computer? As I'm working solely with files I won't be using decks, and BMD inform me that a two computer / deckless workflow may be possible but hasn't been tested.

Also I'd be eager to hear from users of the Teranex if you feel it delivers the highest quality up scaling possible, and also the highest quality deinterlacing.

Thanks in advance for your interest.

Fehraz

Markus Krapf

Re: Up Scaling with Teranex

PostWed May 09, 2018 2:21 pm

I only have the Teranex 3D which does 2K max.

Quality of upscaling for progressive material is virtually the same as on my timeline (Vegas Pro 14). The differences are very minor. You can achieve slightly better results with external software and different scaling algorithms (Lanczos, etc.). The newer Teranex units (AV, Express) claim to have a slightly improved upscaling quality.

The Teranex does a pretty good job with same framerate deinterlacing (29.97i to 29.97p for example). The picture stays clean and sharp without vertical shaking and only very few remaining interlacing artefacts.

Converting from one framerate to another leads to a loss of sharpness and ghost images as the Teranex only uses simple frame blending for standards conversion.

You can achieve good framerate conversion results if you have 29.97i material with a stable 3:2 pulldown. In this case the Teranex is able to restore the original 23.976fps without quality loss, as long as there are not as many cadence breaks or parts with video framerate in your material.

If the Teranex has to compensate for cadence breaks and video material, you will get a few unsharp frames or frames with remaining interlacing when the unit has to lock to to the cadence again.

It is pretty good for realtime use, but if you have the time for longer postproduction you may achieve better results using software solutions.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Teranex is just ok- nothing special at all.
If you have something important which needs upscaling (and time to do it) then open source tools is the way to go or you can rent MTI FILM. They have some fancy upscaler which was made with co-operation with Samsung.

Fehraz Lateef

PostWed May 30, 2018 2:09 am

Hi Andrew, Hi Marcus,

Thank you for your replies. It is good to clarify that using the right algorithm and rendering the upscale will likely produce the superior result.

Return to Post Production