Does the Master Control work with the Broadcast Videohub?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Perry

Does the Master Control work with the Broadcast Videohub?

PostMon May 07, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm talking about the older model Broadcast Videohub, from before the Universal Videohub was introduced. That model only has USB inputs and no Ethernet. Can the Master control work with that unit? If so, how is it connected?

Do you plug the Master Control into the Videohub via USB, and then the Mastercontrol into the network via ethernet, for software control?

Thanks!
Perry Paolantonio
Gamma Ray Digital - 288 Walnut St Suite 105, Newton MA 02460
14k Film Scanning -- Color Grading -- Film Restoration
www.gammaraydigital.com

Xtreemtec

Re: Does the Master Control work with the Broadcast Videohub

PostTue May 08, 2018 11:40 am

Not possible. That hub was made before they started with the concept of remote control. Idea behind these hubs was in a Edit room and control it by USB with software on your PC.

Sorry to say but you really need to upgrade your videohub to a newer one if you want to use a Master controller. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Perry

PostTue May 08, 2018 12:34 pm

This is not what I've been told: that you can use the master control with these units. They just don't connect directly. That is, you hook the video hub to a computer (via USB) that's also on the network, and then put the master control on that network and it will control the video hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Perry Paolantonio
www.gammaraydigital.com

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 08, 2018 12:48 pm

I doubt it. But must say that video hub was from a time that i did not work a lot with BMD yet.. So i could be mistaken and maybe the Videohub software for that particulair model does some IP to USB conversion. ;)

But to be sure you should try to dig up a very old manual of this product. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Perry

PostTue May 08, 2018 12:53 pm

From the September 2014 manual:

Remote router control is performed via USB 2.0 and then shared over an IP network in much the same
way as USB printer sharing. Prior to connecting any devices to Broadcast Videohub, you must nominate
a computer to be the Videohub “Server” and to perform Videohub sharing via USB. You can use almost
any computer for the Videohub Server, such as an editing workstation, and you don’t need a dedicated
or powerful computer for this task. However the Videohub Server computer must remain powered on
at all times so that Videohub settings can be modified. You will need to provide a standard USB 2.0 type
A-B male cable to connect Broadcast Videohub to the server computer.

[...]

Third party router controllers can control Broadcast Videohub via Ethernet for router crosspoint switching.
The Videohub Ethernet protocol is documented in the Developer Information section of this manual.

So this certainly seems possible. The fact that third party IP-based controllers can use it would have been an important selling point in a "Broadcast" hub. And I would think if they support third-party controllers, they'd also support their own.
Perry Paolantonio
www.gammaraydigital.com

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Well looking at the last sentence looks like the software only listens to the Telnet commands describbed in the manual.

The suggestion that 3rd party router panels will also be supported is based on if they will implement this protocol or not.. Same is going on with the Tally info in SDI. 3rd party integration is possible if any other manufacturer decides to implement it.

But based on this info it could work/ integrate with the Master panel. As the master panel uses the same Telnet commands to communicate with the other videohubs. ;) So i guess yes based on this info.

Return to Post Production