Decklink Mini Monitor 4K latency issue

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Brad Ballew

Decklink Mini Monitor 4K latency issue

PostMon May 14, 2018 12:52 pm

I just got a Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and installed it into my PC running Premier Pro. It is connected to a Samsung 4K LED tv.

The video coming out of the Decklink into the TV has about a half second delay. I found the offset setting in preferences - playback settings, but that just increasing the delay.

Is there anything I can do to better sync it up with my timeline in premier? It would be nice especially since my speakers are connected to me computer so the audio is also out of sync with what I am seeing on my tv.

Thanks.
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Decklink Mini Monitor 4K latency issue

PostMon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Do you send your audio over BM together with video and listen from TV? This should be in sync.
If you split video and audio paths (audio coming from PC) then this is "normal" that you may have de-sync. This is rather "bad" practice. When you do it then you have to properly measure and compensate for delay.

John Paines

PostMon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

As noted, you can't expect decklink video and system audio to be in sync. However, decklink audio and video are also likely to be out of sync, though the offset is usually 2-3 frames, not a half-second.
There's a UI preference which allows you to delay GUI video by a specified number of frames to match any external delay, but that won't solve the underlying issue (the other audio delay setting in Resolve is only applicable when using Edit to Tape).

You may need to look for external solutions, for delaying audio.

wireless112

PostThu May 17, 2018 2:22 am

Turn off all of the image enhancement stuff on the Samsung and you'll probably see that latency disappear. Refresh rates greater than 50/60hz are simulated, so even the motionflow or whatever Samsung calls it will add some processing delay. I haven't noticed any delays when using my Mini Monitor 4K with an HP 27es, but it's not 4k. I updated to 15b3 and lost my audio, so I can't test it right now with 15b3.

I did however just run a test with Premiere, if anything the decklink monitor fires ever so slightly sooner but my graphics cards are old so that's not a real surprise either.

I don't use system sound though, I have a Behringer UMC204HD for that purpose which comes with drivers recognized individually outside of system sound. My video monitors are all on the same mount and my audio monitors are positioned so that delay is not an issue.

My suggestion about disabling enhancement is based off the fact you used "TV" to describe your set. That tells me consumer model set picked up at your local electronics retailer. While my monitor is nothing special, it also doesn't have all that processing stuff in it to make watching broadcast sports less painful.
Jeremy

System Build -
Gigabyte Designare EX
Threadripper 1950X
32 GB of DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
2- XFX R7 370 GPU's 2GB version
1- Decklink Mini Monitor 4K - Driver 10.11
1 - Win 10 Pro for WS - Version 1803 - Build 17134.191
Resolve Studio 15 B8

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Yes, TVs can add 1-2 (maybe in rare cases 3) frames delay to the picture.
One of the solution is to run everything through AV receiver. I had this running on Pioneer receiver+Kuro plasma and it was working well. Receiver will auto delay audio to amount reported by TV (with HDMI 2.0 changes are dynamic and respond while you changing TV settings which affect processing time). In older HDMI it's constant value reported by TV during startup. Note that TV and receiver have to support it, which is not always the case as it's optional HDMI feature.

John Paines

PostFri May 18, 2018 12:31 pm

It's not that simple, unfortunately. Sync loss appears to be specific to the Decklink card, since other HDMI outputs from the same computer to the same monitor are in sync. System audio and Resolve GUI video are also out of sync by about 2 frames, which is not the case with (for example) VLC playback on the same machine.

Also be warned that Decklink connections to consumer receivers haven't proven to be reliable. It may depend on brand and model.

Return to Post Production