Blur Video Edges

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

GarySeaSnail

Blur Video Edges

PostSat May 19, 2018 6:36 am

Hi, quick Q, how do I blur the edges of video's

eg; I have a video that was filmed on phone horizontally, I want the sides of this film to blend in with the black space present on either side, but cannot figure out how to do this?

Peter

Marc Wielage

Re: Blur Video Edges

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:32 am

I see nobody answered this: I think Entertainment Tonight was one of the first to do this effect when they started doing their show in HD about 10-11 years ago and had older 4x3 stock or file footage. You create two video tracks, Video 2 with the 4x3 video, and Video 1 underneath with a zoomed in/soft-focus copy of the 4x3 video clip. In some cases, color correction and blur help the effect. I have seen ESPN and some news channels add their logos to the edge of frame to obscure the damage.

All of it is a crutch -- I generally see CNN just blow up the 4x3 footage to 16x9, but my opinion is you have to be very careful about this because of headroom and graphics. And it does make already-soft standard def look even softer.

Boris FX and Sapphire have OFX plug-ins that automatically fix "vertical vision" phone material, but they're a bit pricey. But they're very easy and simple to use.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production