Best Software Options for Deinterlacing

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fehraz Lateef

Best Software Options for Deinterlacing

PostWed May 30, 2018 2:34 am

Hi,

Is Teranex the gold standard for deinterlacing?

Is there any software that can produce comparable results?

Since all my video content is in file form, is it possible to output from one computer (interlaced) to a Teranex and capture (deinterlaced) into another computer?

Thank you.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Best Software Options for Deinterlacing

PostThu May 31, 2018 11:25 am

Teranex maybe was gold standard for deinterlacing, not so sure now. I assume it's still good, but buying box (and doing whole realtime chained work) just to do bit of deinterlacing is bit overkill for me, specially when you have files.
From more expensive ones- Tachyon is good as well as Alchemist. Episode is decent. Adobe is soft. I think Compressor is also ok.
You can use ffmpeg which has many options for deinterlacing, which are also ok, but best results can be achieved with avisynth\vapoursynth. It can easily match Tachyon or Alchemist.

Do you need to go to single fps, so eg 50i to 25p or double 50i to 50p?

I have script which does very nice 50i to 25p (or other fps). What is good about it is fact that in case of mixed footage it won't touch progressive parts (well with 99% accuracy). You can pm me, but I don't share it for free (it's cheap though).

Markus Krapf

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:as well as Alchemist

Alchemist is excellent for progressive to progressive or interlaced to interlaced framerate conversions, and also interlaced to progressive conversions where it can lock to cadences and remove them, but the deinterlacing performance for pure video material is unfortunately far behind the Teranex or software solutions. Teranex keeps most of the vertical resolution when doing same framerate conversions (29.97i to 29.97p for example) without aliased edges or flickering lines most of the time, Alchemist often has flickering lines and reduced vertical resolution on this kind of conversions.

Fehraz Lateef

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 11:29 am

Thank you Andrew, and Marcus for your time and thoughts.

Does Avisynth maintain vertical resolution? Avi/Vapoursynth sounds like a possible solution but there's just one problem. I'm not a programmer. The sites are very intimidating. Is there a step by step guide to using the program to perform the deinterlace? Also am I right that there are a range of scripts for deinterlacing? Why is this? Has anyone tried running either software on a Mac, is doing this buggy? Should I be focussing on Avi or Vapour if all I want to do if learn to deinterlace? Is there a sort of 'idiots guide' to doing this?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Markus Krapf wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:as well as Alchemist

Alchemist is excellent for progressive to progressive or interlaced to interlaced framerate conversions, and also interlaced to progressive conversions where it can lock to cadences and remove them, but the deinterlacing performance for pure video material is unfortunately far behind the Teranex or software solutions. Teranex keeps most of the vertical resolution when doing same framerate conversions (29.97i to 29.97p for example) without aliased edges or flickering lines most of the time, Alchemist often has flickering lines and reduced vertical resolution on this kind of conversions.

Are you talking about Alchemist hardware box or software (xFile)?
xFile does decent deinterlacing, although sometimes it leaves bit of combing. Hardware box has "compromises" as it has to process in realtime.
Interlaced to interlaced conversion also always uses deinterlacing, as actual frame interpolation is always done on progressive frames.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Fehraz Lateef wrote:Thank you Andrew, and Marcus for your time and thoughts.

Does Avisynth maintain vertical resolution? Avi/Vapoursynth sounds like a possible solution but there's just one problem. I'm not a programmer. The sites are very intimidating. Is there a step by step guide to using the program to perform the deinterlace? Also am I right that there are a range of scripts for deinterlacing? Why is this? Has anyone tried running either software on a Mac, is doing this buggy? Should I be focussing on Avi or Vapour if all I want to do if learn to deinterlace? Is there a sort of 'idiots guide' to doing this?

Vapoursynth is fine on Mac.
There is no real guide- it's all your experience+ others scripts and forum help.
There are many different filters for deinteralcing- from simple/fast to very complex and slow. Best ones can easily compete with best pro/hardware deinterlacing out there.

I'm actually working now on project with almost 2000 files (80 000 minutes) which need to be deinterlaced (they vary: from 100% progressive through hybrid to 100% interlaced). My script passes progressive frames untouched, which also speeds up whole process.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markus Krapf

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Alchemist hardware, but I've also seen samples from the software version, the deinterlacing of video based material was always inferior to Teranex deinterlacing (applies only to same framerate deinterlacing).

The best workflow for me in terms of quality is to do the deinterlacing with Teranex and the framerate conversion of the progressive output with Alchemist.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 8:57 pm

I have not done any direct test with Teranex.
Well- going to single fps is easier, going to double fps (eg 50i to 50p) is way more demanding and this is what is needed for any fps conversion.
I'm using middle quality script (non-motion adaptive one due to processing time), but even this provides good quality.

Fehraz Lateef

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for the examples Andrew, they do look good. I'll mostly be going from traditional standard definition interlaced (25i?) to 25p. The script you're using that simply ignores anything that's already progressive does sound good. What does that script do with progressive segmented frames? Thanks for the script offer, might take you up on it. I'll take a look at Vapour and see if I can get my head around it first.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

PsF is purely SDI thing. It's just progressive data in file based world when properly captured.
The only possible issue is chroma positioning, but this should be handled by capture card.

If you process by "series" (similar nature content) you can get very decent result with vs.
I'm trying to get average script for 2000 files of very different nature, but this proves to be bit tricky.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm

I've just noticed you said "mainly SD". In this case put everything through QTGMC which will give you crazy good results and for SD speed will be acceptable (assuming 6cores+ machine).

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Fehraz Lateef wrote:Hi,

Is Teranex the gold standard for deinterlacing?

Is there any software that can produce comparable results?

Since all my video content is in file form, is it possible to output from one computer (interlaced) to a Teranex and capture (deinterlaced) into another computer?

Thank you.

Have you tried the de-interlacer in Resolve? In Clip Attributes, there is a "Enable Deinterlacing" checkbox.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Deinterlacing itself is ok in Resolve (with High Quality selected) with slight combing artefacts left (and issues on diagonals for static parts of the frame), but problem is that if you have some hybrid clips progressive parts will be badly affected.
When you try to normalise files this is not good. What you want is a solution where you can put all files through without worry about hybrid nature.
Resolve also only offers deinterlacing to single fps ( I assume is not a problem in this case). Speed is good though.
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 pm

Here is main problem with Resolve deinterlacing.

Original 50i recording:

Resolve:

QTGMC:

Resolve destroys diagonals on static parts of the frame- not sure why (looks like a bug related to whole field processing engine) if it's motion adaptive deinterlacer which quite well recovers missing fields details.
QTGMC is a beauty and has endless possibilities (and relatively slow speed :D ).

Fehraz Lateef

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 am

Andrew,

What are your thoughts about RevisionFx FieldsKit?

In your example, in which you compare Resolve's Deinterlace, where in the frame should I be looking to see the most pronounced difference? Do you have an example that perhaps has more motion in which the interlaced artefacts are more highly pronounced?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 9:42 am

Resolve result is unusable- look at bench edge (make sure you clicked on images and looking at 1:1 pixels preview). Best to load them to Photoshop/NLE and swap between at 1:1 preview.

RevisionFx FieldsKit should be good, but this is crazy slow if I remember well. It will be also most likely used in app which works in RGB which is somehow undesired in this case and can be source of possible color issues.

Fehraz Lateef

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm

I see it now. It's a remarkable difference.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Yep, you can blindly put your files through QTGMC filter with medium preset and you will be more than happy :)

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Deinterlacing itself is ok in Resolve (with High Quality selected) with slight combing artefacts left (and issues on diagonals for static parts of the frame), but problem is that if you have some hybrid clips progressive parts will be badly affected.
When you try to normalise files this is not good. What you want is a solution where you can put all files through without worry about hybrid nature.
Resolve also only offers deinterlacing to single fps ( I assume is not a problem in this case). Speed is good though.

Is your project setup to do field processing? Can you keep that off to test this? Are you able to PM me a link to the original clip, and the de-interlace result you like, and we will check it out.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 9:05 am

It's off (you actually can't deinterlace when it's on).

I will upload files.

Fehraz Lateef

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 am

Hi Rohit,

Can you please also address the problem of jagged diagonals when deinterlacing using Resolve? Is there a solution within Resolve, and is this problem also experienced when deinterlacing using the Teranex?

Peter Cave

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 3:25 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Deinterlacing itself is ok in Resolve (with High Quality selected) with slight combing artefacts left (and issues on diagonals for static parts of the frame), but problem is that if you have some hybrid clips progressive parts will be badly affected.

I'm wondering what you mean by " Hybrid Clips"? AFAIK clip format will be either progressive OR interlaced but not a combination of both.
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Have you not seen clips which have double nature scenes?
There are plenty of them, everywhere. Some scenes are shot progressive, some interlaced, so you end up with hybrid file nature. Actual flag is useless in such a case. In most cases files are flagged interlaced, but it means not much.
I have 80K minutes of broadcast masters and all fo them are flagged as interlaced, but in reality 50% are pure 100% progressive content, which don't need any processing. There are some where 95% is progressive, but 5% scenes are interlaced (or opposite). There are also cases where for example whole actual content is progressive, but rolling credits are interlaced for better roll. All of this creates massive issues when you're trying to prepare such a files for web etc. where they have to be progressive. In this case you need good tool which either has ability to detect progressive parts and simply pass them through or one which only slightly affects progressive parts. Both of those things are supported in eg. vapoursynth where actual deinterlacing (filling missing field details) itself is also very good.

Annaël Beauchemin

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Resolve destroys diagonals on static parts of the frame- not sure why (looks like a bug related to whole field processing engine) if it's motion adaptive deinterlacer which quite well recovers missing fields details.
QTGMC is a beauty and has endless possibilities (and relatively slow speed :D ).

Have you tried the High Quality deinterlacing switch? It's in the Image Scaling tab of Project Settings.

The high quality mode doesn't always work better, but most of the time. It's worth a try.

When I compared our Teranex to Davinci's deinterlace at High Quality, I didn't find much difference. Maybe they use the same algorithm?

The thing with interlaced footage is that some footage deinterlace much better than some other. I think it might have to do with the camera's amount of sharpen and amount of deatil in the scene. Lots of older Betacam had lots and lots of sharpening going on.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 am

Yes, it was High Quality mode.
QTGMC has no problems with any source and its 100 parameters allow you to tweak anything (or you just use one of few presets).

Annaël Beauchemin

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Yes, it was High Quality mode.
QTGMC has no problems with any source and its 100 parameters allow you to tweak anything (or you just use one of few presets).

That's interesting. I might give QTGMC a new test. Can you share your usual settings or is the default pretty good?

Thanks

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:47 pm

Just stick with presets and you will be happy. For SD you can use Medium or Slow, for HD use Fast.
Go to doom9 forum if you need more help or avisynth/vapoursynth scripts.

tomw1985

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 am

Hi Guys,

I'm extremely new to this, so I can only ask for a little patience in case I accidentally embarrass myself :)

Much like the OP, I have a realm of (now edited) 25i SD PAL footage (captured digitally from MiniDV). The final 'feature' (54 mins) has been output in a MOV container with the standard DV PAL codec (lower field first etc.).

Now, forgive me if I'm talking gibberish, but after doing a little investigating, it seems either Vapoursynth and/or QTGMC will yield the best results. Now, from scanning even the most user-friendly forums on the matter... it's, as the OP suggested, intimidating to say the least.

Before I go further down the rabbit hole, however, I want to clarify something from those of you far more versed in this field. It would seem a vast majority of deinterlacing scripts/protocols simply remove a field and try their best to smooth over what's been extracted. Whilst that may be suitable for a lot of reasons, the idea right now is to upscale the film shot-by-shot using Red Giant's Instant 4K plugin in AE, and finally create a 1080p ProRes 422HQ. This will then be mastered to 2K DCP.

As such, I'm really looking for an interlacing script that can actually create a progressive image by extracting each field individually and blending them, rather than simply removing one and smoothing over the difference. Does such a plugin exist, or am I talking borderline science fiction?

Massively appreciate your time and any pointers you could give me. Whilst I'm a decent editor/mixer, the whole deinterlacing element has pushed me well out of my comfort zone.

MishaEngel

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 5:35 pm

25i SD PAL footage should be 50i SD PAL footage (to my knowledge 25i doesn't excist).
We use QTGMC medium and sometimes all the way to placebo to get the best results in a certain amount of time (we do this with StaxRip).
50i becomes 50p after doing this.
When you need 25p instead of 50p just skip every other frame (blending won't give good results with the test we ran and we tried most if not all methodes).
With StaxRip you can export to ProRes (the FFmpeg way).

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Feb 03, 2020 10:19 pm

tomw1985 wrote:As such, I'm really looking for an interlacing script that can actually create a progressive image by extracting each field individually and blending them, rather than simply removing one and smoothing over the difference. Does such a plugin exist, or am I talking borderline science fiction?

QTGMC is very complex and it uses motion analysis. This is far beyond things like blend or discard ( blend gives poor results as fields are from different point in time).

Go to doom9 forum. There are plenty examples how to use QTGMC in avisynth and vapoursynth.
Look at my examples. You would have hard time to guess if source was de-interlaced or natively progressive.

For quick and broadcast "good enough" results you can use ffmpeg with its new filter called bwdif.

Dmytro Shijan

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 10:30 am

Fehraz Lateef wrote:Has anyone tried running either software on a Mac, is doing this buggy? Should I be focussing on Avi or Vapour if all I want to do if learn to deinterlace? Is there a sort of 'idiots guide' to doing this?

Check this VapourSynth + QTGMC Deinterlace + Hybrid FAQ for macOS viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109259
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Uli Plank

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 11:38 am

Regarding nomenclature: the EBU is using vertical pixel count, then 'i' or 'p' and finally the rate of full frames.
So, SD would be 576i25. But 50i means just the same.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

marks77

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 11:21 pm

I've had good results with avisynth/QTGMC. Good setup video here: macilatthefront.blogspot.com/2018/09/tutorial-4-sd-to-hd-revisited.html

Sort of related, is the right sequence for editing DV content to HD to deinterlace/upscale first and then edit in Resolve (cutting/stabilizing/grading) or edit/stabilize in the native DV, generate the final clip in Resolve first and then deinterlace/upscale that?

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 11:18 am

deinterlace goes first

Edwin Street

PostThu May 28, 2020 6:04 pm

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 3.59.29 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 3.59.29 am.png (102.64 KiB) Viewed 14432 times

Is MPEG Streamclip's deinterlacer better than DaVinci Resolve's?
This is what the MPEG Streamclip manual says about its deinterlacer. (see attached screenshot)
I'm wondering if I should deinterlace my miniDV PAL clips in MPEG Streamclip before bring them into Resolve or just simply do it in Resolve.
I can't figure out how to use QTGMC on my Mac, I wish somebody could make a program which made it simple.
Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Studio 18.6.4 | Ryzen 9 3900X | 1660 Ti | 64GB

MishaEngel

PostThu May 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Edwin Street wrote:I can't figure out how to use QTGMC on my Mac, I wish somebody could make a program which made it simple.

You can run Windows 10 on your mac with bootcamp.

and then install Staxrip
https://www.videohelp.com/software/StaxRip
to do the QTGMC (all the way to placebo mode"it's super slow").

Dmytro Shijan

PostThu May 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Edwin Street wrote:I can't figure out how to use QTGMC on my Mac, I wish somebody could make a program which made it simple.

VapourSynth + QTGMC Deinterlace + Hybrid FAQ for macOS viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109259

Uli Plank

PostFri May 29, 2020 3:04 am

It works right out of the box for me on two Macs.
But I use Mojave still, Catalina makes things just more complicated.

A big thanks to Dmitry!

And forget MPEG Streamclip and even RS FieldsKit, they are a few years behind compared to QTGMC.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri May 29, 2020 10:45 am

MishaEngel wrote:

You can run Windows 10 on your mac with bootcamp.

and then install Staxrip
https://www.videohelp.com/software/StaxRip
to do the QTGMC (all the way to placebo mode"it's super slow").

Placebo modes are pointless in real world (QTGMC, x264/5 etc.). They are made more as "scientific presets" than anything useful in real world.

MishaEngel

PostFri May 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Placebo modes are pointless in real world (QTGMC, x264/5 etc.). They are made more as "scientific presets" than anything useful in real world.

I'm a researcher by profession.
Start with the highest quality and afterwards see where you can cut corners, not the otherway around.

Uli Plank

PostFri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Don't waste your time. Those modes are just doing that.

Return to Post Production