Short rant about labeling

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Chad Capeland

Short rant about labeling

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 4:40 pm

So the Decklink SDI 4K doesn't come with any quick start card, no connection diagram on the box, and no labels on the PCI backplate or on the PCB as to what the SDI connectors are for.

I mean, the connections aren't user configurable, right? Give the user something they can check instead of an SD card.

Sorry, had to vent a little.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Xtreemtec

Re: Short rant about labeling

PostMon Jun 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Luckely we have Google.. What i do when i have a new card.. look it up and grab a black marker.. draw arrow marks on the BNC connectors from the viewing angle.. Works perfect when you need to connect a cable. ;)

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 6:11 am

I get a Brother P-Touch labeler and use white-on-black 1/4" tape to make teeny-tiny labels on any rack-mounted device that has unlabeled jacks. I have to say, it would be nice if there were a PDF or something just with a page on the "do's" and "don'ts" of video cards.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Smash Ashby

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Grab some nail polish, and colour code the BNC's of everything in your facility.

We use
Red: Ref
Blue: Input
Green: Output

NB - Even though "Green" for Input makes more sense to me, we standardised on Green=Output to match the Green=Output, Blue=Input, standard used by computer sound cards.
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post

Glenn Sakatch

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 am

I hear ya. I have had had 3 different BM internal I/O cards, and they are all the same...no markings. I've down loaded the manual so many times to remember which was In, which was out, and which was reference.

Then 2 years passes, something happens, I have to move something or rebuild something, and then...crap...was it In, Out Reference, or Reference, In Out!

One of these days i'll label them. (or not)

Return to Post Production