What's the best BlackMagic PRO video converter software?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

310electro

What's the best BlackMagic PRO video converter software?

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Does BlackMagicDesign sell a professional video converter software for Windows 7 64-bit?

If not, can someone please suggest a "PROFESSIONAL" video converter software that will work with Windows 7 64-bit, and will convert video files from YUV uncompressed 10-bit, 4:2:2, 16:9 aspect ratio, 1920 x 1080, 23.976 frames per second (created in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6) and convert to: Apple ProRes HQ. The length of the video is 18 minutes and 33 seconds.

Apple ProRes HQ is the ONLY format my client can accept.

I have already tried using "Footage Studio 4K" which did convert the files with no errors, but surprisingly the video file size decreased from 144GB down to only 20GB. (which is great that it's a smaller size, but I was expecting the files to get larger, so now I'm not entirely sure everything is perfect with these converted ProRes HQ files) :shock: Also, other than importing them back into Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6, is there any other way to "TEST" these converted ProRes HQ files?

I also tried converting the YUV uncompressed 10-bit video files with "MacX HD Video Coverter Pro For Windows". This also converted with no errors, but again surprisingly the final output ProRes HQ file was only 30GB. :shock:

In 2018 is there now a way to get the Apple ProRes codec in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, so that I can just output the video file as ProRes HQ and not have to then also do this extra step of converting the YUV 10-bit uncompressed video file to ProRes?

Also, in 2018 is there yet a "PLAYER" that will play Apple ProRes HQ files on a Windows 7 64-bit PC computer? My computer has 64-GB RAM and an i7 6-core CPU, and 2 Samsung 850-PRO solid state hard drives. (Quicktime 7 will play the file, but not smooth playback).

Alternately on an fast i7 iMac computer is there a "PLAYER" that will play Apple ProRes HQ files? If a "PLAYER" is still not available in 2018, then which software on the iMac could ProRes files be tested in? (I need something to play back ProRes HQ files smoothly with no jitter or lagging). I need to be able to "TEST" Apple ProRes HQ files because this is the only format that my client can accept.

Thanks so much!
Brian

Jack Fairley

Re: What's the best BlackMagic PRO video converter software?

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 pm

310electro wrote:Does BlackMagicDesign sell a professional video converter software for Windows 7 64-bit?

Fusion Studio can export ProRes.

If not, can someone please suggest a "PROFESSIONAL" video converter software that will work with Windows 7 64-bit, and will convert video files from YUV uncompressed 10-bit, 4:2:2, 16:9 aspect ratio, 1920 x 1080, 23.976 frames per second (created in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6) and convert to: Apple ProRes HQ. The length of the video is 18 minutes and 33 seconds.

ffmpeg or Dali's Moustache should work.

Apple ProRes HQ is the ONLY format my client can accept.

surprisingly the video file size decreased from 144GB down to only 20GB. (which is great that it's a smaller size, but I was expecting the files to get larger, so now I'm not entirely sure everything is perfect with these converted ProRes HQ files)

You can't get larger than uncompressed. ProRes HQ is high quality, but it's not lossless, and is well compressed compared to your source.

In 2018 is there now a way to get the Apple ProRes codec in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, so that I can just output the video file as ProRes HQ and not have to then also do this extra step of converting the YUV 10-bit uncompressed video file to ProRes?

No. Apple has no incentive to license ProRes encoding to Adobe or BMD for their edit suites, so they probably never will. Adobe will also never update CS6, anyway.

Also, in 2018 is there yet a "PLAYER" that will play Apple ProRes HQ files on a Windows 7 64-bit PC computer? My computer has 64-GB RAM and an i7 6-core CPU, and 2 Samsung 850-PRO solid state hard drives. (Quicktime 7 will play the file, but not smooth playback).

You can play it in Premiere or Resolve. It may also work in a video player like VLC, but I don't trust color accuracy when I can't compare to source on a scope.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Smash Ashby

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 3:44 pm

ffmpeg and Dali's Moustache can both fail QC if you have a particularly thorough QC operator, as some of the internal metadata is off. Neither uses a fully licensed codec from Apple.

You can use Assimilate Scratch, or Colourfront Transcoder on a Windows machine to export ProRes without any issues. In the past I have used Transkoder - it's also a brilliant DCP encoder, but the retail price is $30k, plus $5k a year in maintenance. Amazing program though, can't recommend it enough.

As a dramatically cheaper option, you can purchase a cheap iMac, and stick Resolve on it, and just do a re-encode.

I'm sure it's not the advice you want to hear, but the only official/licensed/supported/100%reliable windows software options are all pricey.
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post

Smash Ashby

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Also, have a read of this article to get some more info:

https://blog.frame.io/2017/08/07/prores-on-windows/
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post

Smash Ashby

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Can you tell it's a quiet day in the office...

The cheapest option, by far, but a bit of a PITA, is to literally capture the file - like it was a layout, to an external recorder in ProRes, and then import that file as your master. One of the Hyperlinks will be a good choice for this.
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post

Glenn Sakatch

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:29 am

1 gig per minute is about right for ProRes. I'm sure the ones you made are fine, but they might not have an 'apple' tag in them, so they might not show up as Apple ProRes.

Fusion works, but you will have to add audio as a separate tab in the output module, and then you will really want to check it to make sure it is in in sync.

Some version of Switch can also make Apple ProRes HQ from certain source files. Check their matrix carefully. I've used it quite a bit over the years...does a good job. I'm on Pro now, but I think 1 layer down also does the trick.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Switch Pro (and only Pro) which is now 499$ can do only ProResHQ specifically as this is what iTunes Package is.

Main ffmpeg issue with ProRes are/were actual related to MOV wrapper+headers (which can can be sorted by correct command) and fact that default "prores" option doesn't keep Apple's bitrate targets. Prores_ks does, but not 100% precisely. Another issues is fact that 4444/XQ profiles does not support 12bit (decoding or encoding). Other than this I have not seen a single case where ffmepg ProRes would not be decoded properly by other tools. I'm also yet to see single/documented real problem reported by anyone on the net. It's mainly repeated "myths" about decoding issues.

Glenn Sakatch

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Its not necessarily a decoding issue. I have had houses try to reject ProRes files that didn't have the the Apple tag in them. Had nothing to do with any issue, except an overly zealous QC person. (I told them to suck it up, and they did luckily)

I did have 1 client who could not (on 3 different Macs at their shop) playback one of my Mirizon ProRes files.
I had a Mac Mini that would play it fine, but they could not see picture. I took the same file, ran it through compressor, and they were good to go.

PITA as usual. I just succumbed and bought a cheap. used iMac to do conversions. For 600 bucks, it has saved a lot of head aches.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 7:36 pm

Yes, all those issue are not actually related to ProRes data itself, but wrapping+ headers.
If you know how you can create very Apple alike ProRes with ffmpeg and only very knowledgable people will be able to tell that file is from ffmpeg. This requires bit more than .... -c:v prores command though.

I you have or may find Mac machine useful then it's definitely easy solution and then you don't have to worry at all.

Peter Benson

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 8:47 am

Glenn Sakatch wrote:Its not necessarily a decoding issue. I have had houses try to reject ProRes files that didn't have the the Apple tag in them. Had nothing to do with any issue, except an overly zealous QC person. (I told them to suck it up, and they did luckily)

I did have 1 client who could not (on 3 different Macs at their shop) playback one of my Mirizon ProRes files.
I had a Mac Mini that would play it fine, but they could not see picture. I took the same file, ran it through compressor, and they were good to go.

PITA as usual. I just succumbed and bought a cheap. used iMac to do conversions. For 600 bucks, it has saved a lot of head aches.
Hi Glenn. Which model iMac did you snatch up for that purpose?
-Pete

RStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMon. | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 3:34 am

Glenn Sakatch wrote:PITA as usual. I just succumbed and bought a cheap. used iMac to do conversions. For 600 bucks, it has saved a lot of head aches.

I think this is the best answer.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production