How to enable the audio wave form in a clip

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jeff1001

How to enable the audio wave form in a clip

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 6:42 pm

I've read the manual, I've watched youtube, every day there's a problem that pops up that is not addressed in the manual or the manual doesn't explain in everyday language. How do I enable the waveform in the audio clip on the timeline? One day it was there, then it was gone. I don't know what I did to have it disappear but I've spent so much freaking time trying to find the solution. It's a simple issue that should have a simple solution, and yet, in the manual when I search "Audio Clip Waveform," the result is "No Results Found." By the way, I clicked on "Show Audio Waveforms" on the icon next to the timeline slider...still no audio wavewforms. Also, the design and layout of the manual is atrocious. All you have to do is look at the forum and see how many questions there are as proof that the language and layout is a problem, not a solution. How can anyone be creative when there are so many problems that come up that the system and the manual are ill-equipped to handle? Like a non-gitttery playback! My advice...go back to the drawing board and design an edit system that does the basics perfectly then expand from there! The most fundamental aspect of editing is to allow the editor creative freedom with the help of technology. Since the advent of non-linear (I was there when it began in the early 80's), not one system has ever been designed where the technology doesn't consistently barge in and pinch the creative process. Lightworks was by far the best. Avid, one of the worst. Resolve? You want me to pay $300 for a system that can't playback media? Come on. Make the basics work every time.

Brad Hurley

Re: How to enable the audio wave form in a clip

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 11:54 am

jeff1001 wrote:I've read the manual, I've watched youtube, every day there's a problem that pops up that is not addressed in the manual or the manual doesn't explain in everyday language. How do I enable the waveform in the audio clip on the timeline? One day it was there, then it was gone.

The waveform is enabled by default. You may not be able to see it if the levels are low (a very common problem if you used your camera's built-in mics to record sound); try selecting the clip and right-click to reveal the contextual menu, then choose "normalize audio levels." Don't normalize to zero, as that can result in clipping if you subsequently apply equalization or other effects; instead, back off a few decibels (3 to 10 is generally safe, but it really depends on how much post-processing you plan to do). At that point you'll see the waveform. You can also drag the bottom of the track control panel (on the far left of your screen) to make it taller so you can more easily see the waveform. Same goes for tracks when viewed on the Fairlight page.

If you want to actually edit the waveform, go to the Fairlight page. You'll find vertical and horizontal sliders that allow you to zoom right into the waveform and make micro-adjustments to volume or shape of the waveform by clicking to create edit points, then dragging the edit points up or down, or yanking on the curve between edit points.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Post Production