Monitoring 4k and HD simultaneously

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

themattod

Monitoring 4k and HD simultaneously

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm setting up a new system (iMac Pro) and am considering including a Ultrastudio 4k. I want to playback HD RGB over SDI to a Flanders DM250 for color critical reference and 4k out to an LG C8 as a client monitor. From what I've read the Ultrastudio 4k cannot playback two different formats so this would require a Terranex Miniconverter between the Ultrastudio 4k and the Flanders DM250. But that will cause an unacceptable lag to the reference monitor (this station will be use primarily for offline editing, but also color).

Can anyone think of a work around? Could I use the Ultrastudio out to the Flanders and a Thunderbolt3 to HDMI directly out from the iMac Pro to the LG?

Creative solutions? :?:

JPOwens

Re: Monitoring 4k and HD simultaneously

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 6:42 pm

themattod wrote:Ultrastudio out to the Flanders and a Thunderbolt3 to HDMI directly out from the iMac Pro to the LG?

Still looking at lag, and non-managed color to the LG, even if you were going to succeed in setting up a work-around how to get a full-screen image out of the UI and a decent calibration for the consumer display. Which Resolve does not do. And will trigger an endless discussion of which monitor is right -- of course the Flanders is... so why are you showing me the big screen?

There are a couple of BMD products that do this, but they tend to have the word "Extreme" in them.

I use an AJA 4K2HD converter. Yes I do. SDI multilink/HDMI and fully configurable with no ambiguities. Zero.

jPo, CSI

themattod

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Yes, I realized the error of my thinking after posting. The thunderbolt to HDMI won't be acceptable for both reasons you mentioned. However, I'm not worried about the conversations re: Flanders vs LG. That's an issue almost as old as time itself. I'm not looking to solve the problem of explaining the difference between an expensive reference monitor and an affordable client monitor.

Now I'm wondering if I could run an UltraStudio 4k and a MiniMonitor HD simultaneously?

But am I to understand correctly that an Extreme card can playback 4k and HD simulateously through SDI and HDMI? Could I theoretically install the Extreme in an external Thunderbolt to PCI enclosure and be set?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Easiest would be UltraStudio 4K Extreme (or DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G) which has simultaneous HD output in case of main UHD signal.

themattod

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 am

Oh it will? Perfect! Thanks

Return to Post Production