Sound recording sounds echo

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MaricoSol

Sound recording sounds echo

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi,

It is my first creation with Blackmagic and I used a microphone Boya to register my outdoor interviews. When I listen to the audio band in Blackmagic, there is an echo, as if I had registered in a poorly soundproof room. Can I correct that problem with the mixer pannel?

Sincerely

Brad Hurley

Re: Sound recording sounds echo

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Bonjour Marie,

A few questions: What did you use to record the sound? Did you record directly from the microphone to the camera, or did you use a separate recording device? If you used a separate recording device does it sound okay when played back on that device and only sounds strange in Resolve?

If Resolve is somehow causing the echo, there's probably a way to fix it. But if the echo is in the original recording, there are not many good options for fixing it. There is a plugin called Deverberate (approx. $100) you can buy that can reduce the amount of echo in a recording; I used it to reduce echo from dialogue I recorded in a very reverberant church and it was helpful (but you can't remove all the echo without introducing artifacts into the sound).

The first thing to determine is whether you hear the echo when the recording is played outside of Resolve. If so, then Resolve is somehow introducing the echo and you should be able to eliminate it. If not, you would have to remove the echo using a plugin; there is nothing built into Resolve that will do it. If you have access to Logic Pro X, there is a built-in effect called "Enveloper" that may be able to help.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Brad Hurley

Re: Sound recording sounds echo

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Actually I just thought of a simpler solution:

The problem you are describing may be caused if you recorded to an external recorder AND with your camera's built-in microphones: when you import the video file into Resolve, it brings the camera audio with it. If you also import your separately recorded audio to the timeline and if it doesn't perfectly line up with the camera audio, you will hear this apparent echo. Easy fix: just mute the camera's audio track.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Post Production