Video Assist 4k: feature requests

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Philipp Glaninger

Video Assist 4k: feature requests

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Hello,

I really love the Video Assist 4k. It is one of my favorite gadgets of all time. Works great with my multiple needs and workflow. Beside using it as a field recorder, a mobile grading monitor, it comes in handy as a dedicated Waveform/Parade/Vector Monitor while doing color grading since the scopes on Video Assist feel a tad more responsive than the ones within Resolves UI. And I even use is as a XLR Sound recorder!

1. But the Device is missing an essential detail on the Vectorscope. I would love a permanent or optional Skin Tone Indicator Line. Something that starts right at Zero. Not only will it help me evaluating proper skin tones, but I would be 100% aware where the "no Color" Point is. Right now I am looking into a black void without indications. Lets say a shots has extreme Color Shifts, than I have no clear understanding where the Zero Color Spot would be located. A Skin Tone Line would solve both issues at the same time for me. Maybe circular grids would help too.

2. I would like to record XLR sound only from a audiomixer without the need to plug in a mandatory Videosource simultaneously to record my sound. Right now I am cheating myself around the restriction by plugging in the XLR Source first. Then hooking up some HDMI or SDI Device just to get the record button active. Then I hit record on the Video Assist 4k. After that I can even remove the Videodevice and the audio recording is continuing just fine. 8-)
I know! It is kind of a waste of diskspace since it is recording a blank video at the same time, but by switching to something like ProRes Proxy it is not an issue for me.

So. It would be great to be able to simply hit the Record button anytime and the device would just record even without a dedicated video source hooked up, maybe using the smallest possible video resolution to do it. Or a dedicated sound recording mode. That would be fantastic.

3. I would like to be able to set the HDMI Range manually on the Video Assist 4k. I do not understand why this is "Auto only".

Thanks
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist 4k: feature requests

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 am

It is a Video Recorder! Recording audio only is not goi g to happen. The audio tracks are embedded in the video signal, a through back to video tape technology, and this is not going to change. If yiu need audio only recording, there are numerous audio in,y recorders available thst record WAV files and MP4 audio.
Sound Devices makes some of the best available for Pro applications.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Philipp Glaninger

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 11:45 pm

Denny Smith wrote:It is a Video Recorder! Recording audio only is not goi g to happen. The audio tracks are embedded in the video signal, a through back to video tape technology, and this is not going to change.

A very true point. :) Especially the technical part might be a dead end. So I take this request back.

But I am still wondering about it. Video Assist is using "Quicktime" and this is meant to be a multimedia container-format. That means we have no limitation on how many Audio- or Videostreams we are supposed to have. And at the same time it would mean that it is possible to disable all videostreams, leaving only Audio in a .MOV Container. At least this is what Quicktime is meant to be able to do.

But you might be right and there is some limitation that I am not aware of.

Well it is ture. It is created as a Video Recorder in the first place. But at the same time it is a field monitor plus a Vectorscope and Waveform Monitor. So the concept of what this device is, gets blurry to me. Just like DaVinci Resolve was turned from a "Color Correcting" solution into something that now can do Editing, Audio and recently even Compositing! I feel like Blackmagic is currently breaking down a lot of conceptual boundaries. Maybe on day, they will get rid of the classical Video Recorder concept too. :)
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Denny Smith

PostSun Jul 29, 2018 2:27 am

Maybe... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Pixelnoise2

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 pm

hi everybody,
i need please help to understand my problem audio with my VA4K.
No audio signal from little monitor speaker on board, no audio signal from headphone jack.
The volume is on 50%
This problem is when i recorder and when i play.
The footage has recorded perfect on cards with perfect audio signal.
Sorry for my english and thanks too much to help me to understand.

Return to Post Production