Converting RAW 4:1 CinemaDNG files to Prores proxies

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

andrewabrowne

Converting RAW 4:1 CinemaDNG files to Prores proxies

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 8:29 am

Hey team,

We're shooting a production in 4k RAW 4:1 compression on the BM Ursa Mini Pro 4,6k (as A cam) and BM Ursa Mini 4.6k (as B cam). Just trying to figure out the post process in terms of creating proxies from this media. What's the best way you've found to create proxies? I had initially thought about creating watch folders in Adobe Media Encoder but i've since found out that AME doesn't recognise these files. Also, i hears Premiere Pro has a built in Proxy workflow for Cinema DNG files. Tried this and it doesn't recognise the files either. I've now got some of the media lined up in Resolve and exporting as individual clips based on the original source name. Is this the best, fastest and most efficient way to be generating proxies for the BM Ursa cameras? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how i could speed up the process?

Currently around 7Tb of media is processing and it's anticipating it's going to take around 18 days to chew through it all.

The machine that's chewing through the media now is as below.

Mac Pro 2013
Processor: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
RAM: 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB x2

Am i doing this a very unconventional way?

Thanks,
Andrew

Jeffrey Chance

Re: Converting RAW 4:1 CinemaDNG files to Prores proxies

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 4:04 pm

I do it the quick and dirty way in Resolve

Line up my footage in my delivery clip by clip, and transcode them all to ProRes Proxy to a different folder on a different drive.

Premiere ONLY recognizes uncompressed Raw (1:1) and even then, it puts an ugly display LUT on the footage.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 6:23 pm

The most streamlined way to do it in Resolve is with the Media Management feature. File > Media Management..., select the Transcode tab.

andrewabrowne

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks for that info guys. Will try these methods out.

roger.magnusson wrote:The most streamlined way to do it in Resolve is with the Media Management feature. File > Media Management..., select the Transcode tab.

Through the media management way, do you know if there's an option to retain folder structures?

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Sure, in the Transcode tab, click "+ More options" to reveal the Preserve folder hierarchy options.

andrewabrowne

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Got it, thanks!

Craig Marshall

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 11:28 pm

The trouble with using Resolve as a Trancoder is that although you can set the timecode start, I've never been able to find a way to embed unique reel names like you can in a bespoke Transcoder.

In my 30 years of professional post production, a clean Timecode with unique, embedded Reel Names makes for a painless EDL/AAF/XML Conform every time. A little bit of time and planning spent in pre-production can save many hours/dollars later so it remains a great workflow for NLE/Resolve off-line/on-line scenarios.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 12:38 pm

It's quite poor that such a tool like Resolve which is used in complex workflows is unable to set reel name. It's crazy easy to implement. Yet again it shows lack of attention to details, those small features which quite often mean a lot.
You can even embed all RAW metadata into MOV, like for example Scratch does. It's not rocket science. BM have to realise that in todays workflows people use many tools, not just one. Flame had the same issue, but recently Autodesk realised that it needs to be way more open. Best example of such a tool is probably Nuke.

Return to Post Production