eGpu hdmi output

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Gabriele Gelfo

eGpu hdmi output

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Is it supported by Da Vinci resolve video output?
I've not read all specs yet.
If yes this is the big news.

regards
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: eGpu hdmi output

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 2:16 pm

There is no dedicated video monitoring feed from eGPU box.

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 5:40 am

The BMD eGPU includes HDMI 2 output. Are you saying DaVinci Resolve can’t use that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 9:48 am

As far as I understand this is just HDMI out from GPU, so it won't be a color accurate/full screen video output, but 'normal' GPU output (2nd screen).

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 1:17 am

Thanks, again, Andrew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 2:58 am

OTOH, it's for the Mac anyway, so we could get close with a good display, some probe for calibration and by activating "Use Mac Display Color Profiles for Viewers".
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Darko Djerich

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 1:24 pm

So in that case are we better off running HDMI off the
IMac directly through Apple Tunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter ?
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Uli Plank

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 1:43 pm

No, that's just the same. Not an I/O like a Decklink or such, just HDMI.
It can always be used as a second screen for the GUI.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

JPOwens

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Uli Plank wrote:It can always be used as a second screen for the GUI.

Through Thunderbolt, do the same rules apply for a second monitor used as a two-up GUI?
When using multiple GPUs in conventional configurations, monitors are disallowed for the non-User Interface display outputs.

jPo, CSI

Uli Plank

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 1:31 pm

You can plug the monitor either side. The eGPU has the new Titan Bridge chip to take care of communication between GPU and monitor, it’s not like a usual HDMI on a graphics card.
You could even get an USB-C to Display Port adapter and plug it into a monitor. The eGPU is the first certified eGFX device to have two ports.

PixelMan

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 10:04 pm

For anyone interested in an eGPU I recommend going with a brand that allows you to swap out the card and which has a robust PSU. Not a fan of the way you get locked into the RX 580 which is a prosumer level card. It's getting long in the tooth as well. RX Vega 56 can be had at reasonable prices now and is a much better card, to name one example that works on macOS natively. RX Vega 64 is even better but can still be pricey.

IMHO BMD should have left off the extra ports and put that money and available power towards a better card, especially if they and Apple are locking people in to a non-upgradeable device. I know the literature says they did it this way for cooling / quiet but not sure that argument holds up too well. Most of the larger eGPUs have large fans that move a lot of air. While they're not silent, they're pretty close in the case of Sonnet and the other more "roomy" designs out there. So long as the thing isn't in an audio recording environment, the noise shouldn't come into play in most working scenarios.

I've had occasion to run two eGPUs at once on Resolve 14.x, testing timeline effects and the like, comparing the performance of one and two eGPUs and same + dGPU. Only rarely do the GPU fans spin up fast enough that you'd notice. If I had timeline audio piping through nearby monitors I don't think I would've noticed at all but I was running through timelines without audio playback at the time.

JPOwens

PostSun Jul 29, 2018 6:04 pm

PixelMan wrote:I know the literature says they did it this way for cooling / quiet but not sure that argument holds up too well.

[Rolling my eyes...] back to the new macPro 2013 (aka trashcan), we now have the benefit of the hindsight gained around thermal considerations...
There's this...

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... -slow-down

...and I joked quite awhile ago (complaining about the CPU's going into shutdown because of thermal fatigue even on my kluge-upgraded 2010 5,1 MacPro SilverTower) that it was time to buy a wine-cooler or mini-fridge to house it, plus my Cubix external GPU cage. And I see on the Facebook news feed that someone actually did that recently with the latest MacBook Pro. To kind of prove a point?

In fact, a random power outage that adversely and asymmetrically affected that configuration set up a melt-down of the MacPro unit's backplane... $$$KaChing$$$. And so, now very careful to only render 20 minutes of material at a time @UHD resolution. The Cubix was on a separate circuit which browned-out, shut down, and transferred the entire render pipeline to the onboard GPU, the way Resolve does things...it would be like trying to take a sip from a firehose is the way I imagined it.

Moore's Law is one thing, thermodynamics is another.

jPo, CSI

Return to Post Production