Hyperdeck Studio Mini-Can't play H.264 medium 720p recording

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ARCMedia

Hyperdeck Studio Mini-Can't play H.264 medium 720p recording

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 pm

We were excited to get the H.264 codec installed so we could make a 720p recording of our kids 1 hour Music Camp performance this past Friday. However, we were disappointed to find out that the recording's video stream was hosed somewhere around the 00:15:30;00 marker (failed at that time code in Quicktime Player, VLC, and even on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini itself when copied back to the SD card). The MUXED stream is apparently fine, since I was able to successfully extract the full 1 hour of audio using Quicktime Player.

I would have thought that the video stream could successfully recover at the next keyframe, but that does not seem to be the case with this recording. Was this a fluke, or are there issues with the H.264 codec that we all should be aware of before completely placing our faith in it?

whatimjustfilming

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini-Can't play H.264 medium 720p recor

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 8:40 am

This has happened to me twice now, both on quite important gigs. I hope they release an update to fix it because I really love being able to record straight to MP4.

Otherwise it's back to ProRes I guess....

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Never put your faith in just 1 recorder.. Failure is always an option!!

We always have 2 recorders running on every job! 2 complete independant recorders, different brands. Just to ensure maximum safety to always have the content. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

whatimjustfilming

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 8:55 am

Oh for sure! It's for business conferences with powerpoint though, so our backup is essentially to just export the powerpoint as an MP4 and cut it in.

As a result though you have to watch through the camera recording and actually cut in different slides as they get moved on, instead of them just being synced up from the start.

Return to Post Production