UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 stuttery playback?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Doug Smith

UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 stuttery playback?

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm thinking I have a configuration setting wrong somewhere but not seeing it... This is a new installation.

I have an UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 and the PCIe cable kit. It's installed in a HP Z8 workstation running the latest Avid MediaComposer on Windows 10.

After installing the software & hardware & connecting the PCIe cable, video playback is unusably "stuttery". I'm losing roughly 90% of frames; the audio "ticks" and after about ten seconds audio playback stops entirely.

- Playback stutters identically in the timeline window in Media Composer; in the display on the UltraStudio; and on the SDI output.
- Happens with media captured with the UltraStudio (from a Phabrix test generator) as well as with media captured elsewhere and loaded from Interplay.
- Recording & playback with the MediaExpress software that came with the UltraStudio works fine.
- If I power down, disconnect the PCIe, and power back up, playback in MediaComposer is fine.
- Task Manager shows 18% of (local) disk in use with the UltraStudio connected. With it disconnected, no local disk is used. (it's pulling everything from the Avid shared storage) Other resource use -- CPU, RAM, LAN -- is essentially the same either way. GPU usage is *lower* with the UltraStudio connected but I suspect that's because something isn't able to feed it enough data to keep it busy.

Anything obvious I've failed to check?
Thanks!
Doug Smith/Nashville

Return to Post Production