Hyperdeck Mini Static Audio When H.264 Converted

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jordangrogan

Hyperdeck Mini Static Audio When H.264 Converted

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 8:57 pm

I am recording on a Hyperdeck Mini with the "H.264 High" codec. It records to the SD card and when I play the video off the SD card, the sound is normal. However, if I upload the video file to YouTube, I get static for the audio. So, I thought I'd try converting with Handbrake. I converted it to their "YouTube HQ 1080p60" preset with AAC audio, and I now get static audio on the converted file. Any suggestions on how to convert this file so that I don't get static? I'm really looking for the easiest workflow to get a recording off the Hyperdeck Mini straight to YouTube. Thanks!

Jack Fairley

Re: Hyperdeck Mini Static Audio When H.264 Converted

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 pm

I would open the recorded file in Resolve and check the individual audio tracks to make sure there's not one full of noise.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

jordangrogan

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks for the tip! I opened the original MP4 in Adobe Audition, and there appears to be 2, good, channels of audio on the file. The Hyperdeck Studio Mini is set to record 2 channels of audio, also.

David Chadd

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 pm

jordangrogan wrote:I am recording on a Hyperdeck Mini with the "H.264 High" codec. It records to the SD card and when I play the video off the SD card, the sound is normal. However, if I upload the video file to YouTube, I get static for the audio.

I am having the same issue with clips recorded in the hyperdeck studio mini as h264 when uploading to facebook, google drive, youtube or vimeo. I am in contact with technical support at black magic and hopefully they have a fix. It is not practical to have to convert these files every time. Sometimes you just want to upload and be done. It also lowers the quality to re compress.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78575

jordangrogan

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm

David, I was also in contact with BMD support, and they sent me a new unit. But, I have the same issue. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

jordangrogan

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 am

A support rep told me that their engineers are aware of this issue & working on it!

LeonRet

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:11 am

jordangrogan wrote:David, I was also in contact with BMD support, and they sent me a new unit. But, I have the same issue. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

I have 4x decks, and they are all doing the same issue. So it is no isolated but something with the way they have set it up. Seems like they are aware of it now. Is a bit crazy to think they add a new codec and not test it properly???

pmcdonald

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 5:11 am

10 months on from their support engineers being aware of the problem, any solutions yet?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Unfortunately, this problem is still not fixed in the HyperDeck Mini. HyperDeck firmware 7.0 was just released, but it only adds support for the new HyperDeck Extreme 8K and doesn't have any changes for the other HyperDeck models. The most recent firmware that had any changes affecting the HyperDeck Mini was version 6.0 released in June 2018 (which is the firmware version that added H.264 recording in the first place) .

Many video editing programs are able to handle the recordings from the HyperDeck correctly, it's mostly direct upload to video platforms that seems to be an issue.

If you don't want to send the files through a video editor, you can also rewrap the files (without re-encoding the video) using the ffmpeg command mentioned in the middle of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78575

pmcdonald

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks for the link. We've been advising our less proficient NLE/command line users to just bounce the file through a Handbrake preset, which seems to do the job.

Return to Post Production