Fairlight audio acceleration questions

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dglover

Fairlight audio acceleration questions

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi all,

Spec'ing out a new workstation and considering adding the Fairlight audio acceleration card. Have a few questions that I couldn't find answers for on the website, so hoping folks here have some advice.

1. Does the audio acceleration PCIe card function in both Fairlight and Edit views? I know the Mackie control surfaces work fine in Fairlight view, but even the basic transport buttons are useless in the other views. I'm curious if I'm going to have accelerated playback in Fairlight mode, but fall back to latency and stuttering in Edit mode.

2. Do I need any additional hardware to take advantage of the acceleration? I won't be doing any recording, and likely only working with Stereo and 5.1 projects with many tracks. Do I need to purchase a BMD/Fairlight interface or controller, or can the accelerator handle the realtime rendering and pass the signal to my standard audio interface?

3. I rely on many VST plugins for much of my audio post. I'm assuming these tracks would not be supported by the acceleration card and must be rendered by CPU. How's the latency/sync when this happens?

Thank you!

Jack Fairley

Re: Fairlight audio acceleration questions

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 6:38 pm

There is some information in this thread about Fairlight hardware: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67821

I would contact BMD support directly, since not many people have gotten their hands on this stuff yet.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

dglover

Re: Fairlight audio acceleration questions

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks. That'a good thread, but definitely shows there's a lack of real information available yet. Makes me a bit hesitant to jump into the pool yet.

Return to Post Production