Colour Grading a ProRes 422

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

roland rock

Colour Grading a ProRes 422

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 6:51 am

I have a short project, edited and partially graded in FCPX which I want to finish off in Da Vinci. If I import an XML all I get is the timeline without any of the current colour grading, cropping etc already done in FCPX. I understand I can import a ProRes 422 file but how do I break out the clip/frame structure?

JPOwens

Re: Colour Grading a ProRes 422

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 4:45 pm

roland rock wrote:I understand I can import a ProRes 422 file but how do I break out the clip/frame structure?

There are fundamentally two methods described in the Operation Manual:
Using an EDL or Scene Detection.

The procedures are outlined in "Adding and Organizing Media with the Media Pool Part 2 -8 (Resolve 14 Manual)

Read the section (keyword search - Splitting Clips Based on EDLs)
This assumes you can supply a valid Edit Decision List (CMX-3600, which is unlikely given your NLE of origin) The reason this is unlikely is that FCPX hides its layer hierarchy (which still exists whether you think it does or not) and CMX can only support 1 V1 track. So (for example) also, obviously nested timelines and sequences are deal-breakers.

Also refer to the Chapter "Conforming EDL Files Part 5-38" which will help with trouble-shooting the reasons why your EDL import won't work.

Next, review the relevant material pertaining to "Using Scene Detection":

It works reasonably well for placing event boundaries at cut points, but will not help you at all with FX, dissolves or other transitions. It will not work totally automatically, and will require some guidance on your part. The decisions it makes also creates a simulated "original clip" for each event -- the implication here is that you will not be able to correct a mis-placed cut point on the Resolve timeline.

In reality, the brute-force method of simply importing the movie and getting your hands dirty with the Command-B tool is the only way you will be able to gain complete control. You are going to have to check every cut-point manually anyway.

jPo, CSI

Peter Cave

Re: Colour Grading a ProRes 422

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 6:18 am

Further to JP's comments;

To create an edl file for "Splitting Clips Based on EDLs"

Export the final movie from FCPX in a suitable high quality format.
Export an XML file of your movie from FCPX.
Import the XML file into Resolve. Make sure no media is offline in the imported timeline.
Export the newly imported timeline as an EDL.

Now you can follow the instructions in the Resolve User Manual to split the final movie during the import process in Resolve. When everything works without any errors it is safe to delete the clips referenced by the imported XML, as you now only need the 'final movie' for grading & finishing. Keep in mind that if you need to mix the audio you will need to choose which app to use and a suitable workflow.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to Post Production