Changing to passive heatsink

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Christoffer Glans

Changing to passive heatsink

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 pm

I've been using a Decklink Extreme 3D for years and I've just built a new system which is super quiet. However, the fan on the Decklink has this high pitch super annoying sound that I'm trying to get rid of. Since the heatsink on it is pretty "meh", plastic and with a small fan I'm thinking that changing to a passive one might help. However, I'm trying to calculate the TDP (Thermal Design Power) in order to know what type of passive heatsink to change to. The airflow in my new system is huge, with six Noctua fans.

Has anyone else changed the heatsink to a passive? Or know what passive heatsink that would fit well?

MishaEngel

Re: Changing to passive heatsink

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 4:51 pm

That is a great idea, we have the DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G and that one uses 30 Watt. The DeckLink 4K Extreme uses 21 Watt. I think I will put it in the waterloop with a custombuild waterblock. Again thanks for the idea, I hate the noise that comes of that little fan.

carlomacchiavello

Re: Changing to passive heatsink

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 7:03 pm

I don’t have this card, I not know the size and setup, but simpler to change a fan with more silent fan, I changed all computer fan with no tua and only fan I can hear is from a video cards (4 cards do a lots of noise when work all at same time during rendering).

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Post Production