I can see audio but can't HEAR audio on Media Express

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Danny Nowak

I can see audio but can't HEAR audio on Media Express

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi,
I can see audio but can't HEAR audio on Media Express. When I'm capturing an old VHS tape into Media Express, the VU meters are bouncing- but no sound is heard. Later when I play back the captured file, I can hear the sound fine. I checked different settings in the Sound Prefs on my iMac, but still can't hear audio while I'm capturing. Thanks!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: I can see audio but can't HEAR audio on Media Express

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 5:10 pm

You don't specify which product it is you are using however, this is expected behavior during capture with Media Express.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Danny Nowak

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 9:03 am

REALLY?! I'm surprised.
I'm playing off a Panasonic PV-S1670 VHS player, then S-video through a Pioneer DVR-640H HDD/DVD player (to make use of the time base corrector), then composite into the Intensity Shuttle, then USB3 into my iMac.
So you say I can't listen to the audio while importing to Media Express? I was hoping to listen to figure which bits I'm going to capture. Otherwise I have to import the whole hour long tape to see (hear) what's on it.

Dumb question: what are the 'output' connections for if the Shuttle sends signals to the Mac on the USB3 cable?
Thanks for your feedback.

Jack Fairley

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Danny Nowak wrote:Dumb question: what are the 'output' connections for if the Shuttle sends signals to the Mac on the USB3 cable?

They're for connecting the capture device to an external display/audio, so you can monitor the signal.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Ross Chevalier

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 4:21 pm

I have the same issue. Media Express shows the audio meters while capturing is taking place. If I choose to playback from with Media Express, I see the video but there is no audio through my Mac.

If I open the file captured by Media Express in Quicktime, the audio is heard. Media Express has no audio output preferences.

The audio and video are captured in Media Express successfully so this has nothing to do with the Intensity Shuttle at this point as best as I can tell. Media Express does not give you any options for choosing outputs.

Is this a bug in Media Express, or is there some hidden magic setting to make this work?

Thank you

Return to Post Production