Does rendering Blackmagic RAW require transcoding?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

William McGough

Rendering Blackmagic Raw

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 3:46 pm

At the risk of sounding obsequious, I have to say that Blackmagic Raw looks amazing – plays back perfectly on my 2016 MBP even while driving a 5K, a 4K, and a 2K displays – and looks amazing too. (No wonder everyone at BMD was being so coy about ProRes Raw!)

In the introduction video, Grant mentioned (at 24:44) that "you can render to the Blackmagic Raw files".
(youtube.com/watch?v=Fc8q_3ot3lQ&t=24m40s)

Looking through the video format & codec options on the render page of Resolve Studio 15.1, I can't seem to find an option to render to Blackmagic Raw (even when my timeline and project only contain Blackmagic Raw clips). Will this be a future addition, or am I missing something?

(I'm downloading the SDK now – hopefully there is render support there!)

Anyways, cheers to the BMD team – you guys are doing some incredible work!
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Rendering Blackmagic Raw

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:37 pm

Not in current Resolve.
SDK is nto an app- it's for developers to write one based on it.

The only reason to export RAW codec is converting existing RAW. This is unlikely ever to be supported in Resolve. Maybe 3rd party will make such a tool, so people will be able convert DNG RAW into BM RAW.

Manuel López

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:40 pm

It was a mix-up, he meant trimming. It's not possible render to raw

clepsydrae

Does rendering Blackmagic RAW require transcoding?

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:41 pm

BM-RAW looks like a pretty awesome addition!

I understand that BM-RAW is using a lossy compression on the raw data... presumably that compression is an all-I format?

If that's the case, then if I start with a collection of BM-RAW footage and come up with an edit in Resolve, and then render out to BM-RAW, does that mean there will be no transcoding of the compressed data? That is, all the grading and such is done only in sidecars?

Or will transcoding happen when that rendering is performed?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Does rendering Blackmagic RAW require transcoding?

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 pm

You don't want to render back to RAW- this is about useless (except some special cases).
If you have already RAW source then your source file+ Resolve project is all what you need for backup.
When you export you nee files to bee debayered and ready for "normal" viewing.
What you may want is trimming of RAW files, eg. if you want to backup only useful source parts- this will be probably supported in Resolve.

clepsydrae

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply -- Yeah, "trimming" is what I'm curious about, basically: can I take a Resolve project with a pile of BM-RAW files and create a consolidated set of new BM-RAW files and associated Resolve project with no recompression from the originals, but trimmed down to the size used in the edit.

Sounds like you expect that to be supported, which would be great.

William McGough

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Manuel, as you say "render" typically refers to an RGB format; but there could be an analogous process for converting between one raw format and another, and that's what I am looking for. (I.e. convert existing cdng clips into Blackmagic Raw.)

In my case, I am curious about the possibility of converting Canon Cinema Raw Light footage into Blackmagic Raw, due to the latter's tremendous performance benefits. While I wish that Canon would update the C200 to support Blackmagic Raw in-camera, I think the chance of that is left of zero (due to both hardware limitations and company mindset).

So, it would be great if I could do that in Resolve, but what I am really hoping is that, with the SDK, I might be able to make a simple app to batch convert files (sort of like how Lightroom can be set to convert camera Raw files into DNGs at import).
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 am

Yes, you can.

Trimming RAW means stripping off what is not used in the project (plus some handles if needed), and storing it without any transcoding. This is possible with R3D, now with BMraw and actually even with GPO formats.

Caveat:
If you need more than one part of a longer clip and these parts are overlapping, always make subclips or something is missing! This bug has bitten me before, I'm not sure it's fixed yet.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Post Production