Acceptable Grading Monitor

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dean Fisher

Acceptable Grading Monitor

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 1:15 am

Hello good people of the forum,

Last year I turned my 2010 50" Panasonic Plasma TV (P50VT20) into a grading monitor. When I first bought it way back in 2010, I calibrated it based on some "professional settings" I found on a forum at the time. Recently, I've tried calibrating it with the THX app and a also a BT.709 DVD calibration Blu-ray disc, but I'm skeptical of my results considering I'm not a professional colorist.

I'm merely seeking a "good enough" solution for grading. I know the panel isn't 10 bit, though I am giving it a clean signal with my BD Decklink Mini Monitor out of my PC.

Is it worth having a professional come to my house and help me calibrate as close to Rec709 as possible? Most of my projects, personal and professional, end up on the web and not for broadcast/theatrical.

I'm located in Burbank, CA, so if any locals have any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

Alternately, should I instead be looking for a 10-bit 4k computer monitor that gets 99-100% sRGB? Again, I know I'm not getting something "proper" for under $3,000 most likely, but something that is good enough for web distribution.

Marc Wielage

Re: Acceptable Grading Monitor

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 4:26 am

Dean Fisher wrote:Is it worth having a professional come to my house and help me calibrate as close to Rec709 as possible? Most of my projects, personal and professional, end up on the web and not for broadcast/theatrical. I'm located in Burbank, CA, so if any locals have any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

Yes, get something like the LG C8 OLED and have it calibrated Rec709. Avical in Burbank does great work:

Avical
(877) 428-4225
http://www.avical.com
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

MishaEngel

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Dean Fisher

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 12:30 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Dean Fisher wrote:Is it worth having a professional come to my house and help me calibrate as close to Rec709 as possible? Most of my projects, personal and professional, end up on the web and not for broadcast/theatrical. I'm located in Burbank, CA, so if any locals have any recommendations I'd appreciate it!

Yes, get something like the LG C8 OLED and have it calibrated Rec709. Avical in Burbank does great work:

Avical
(877) 428-4225
http://www.avical.com

Thanks for the info, Marc.

What about the B7A? I see a used 55" LG model OLED55B7A for $1200. Apparently it's visually identical to the C7s, but it has different audio capabilities and a different stand. Seeing as I'll mount it on the wall and only be using it for picture, the differences seem negligible.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 6:17 am

Dean Fisher wrote:What about the B7A? I see a used 55" LG model OLED55B7A for $1200. Apparently it's visually identical to the C7s, but it has different audio capabilities and a different stand. Seeing as I'll mount it on the wall and only be using it for picture, the differences seem negligible.

There are brand-new 55" B7's in the box on eBay around $1200 if you shop around a bit. I would lean more towards a new one, since the used ones could have 5000-6000 hours on them at this point, easily.

BTW, don't believe any "calibration" number settings you see on the web. Every monitor is different from every other monitor, and even the exact same models will not show the same pictures with the same on-screen setting numbers dialed in. Monitors built on a Thursday may not look the same as those built on a Monday. You have to read them with a meter in order to properly calibrate them. Steve Shaw's papers on LightIllusion.com go into this in detail.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production