Cfast 2 card reading but will not transfer

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Brian Nager

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I have an issue here with my URSA 4.6k (non-pro :) writing data to a cfast 2.0 card and playing back on camera, on card reader hooked up to computer (whether Mac or pc), but images will NOT transfer.

Have tried some things but nothing has worked so far.

The cfast 2.0 card is a Lexar 256GB formatted as ExFat, and is the 3600x version.

All my video in the card is ProRes 2k. I did have some issues with URSA freezing and crashing during shoot.... in fact this has happened to me more times now than is acceptable or comfortable. I’m beginning to not trust the camera and starting to think about other options. I’m thinking this played a part in the footage not being transferable. There are 30 clips on card. URSA crashed during 5 takes or so, but none of the clips will transfer to my computers, Mac or pc.

The clips do play in camera and in card reader. Just cannot transfer to my computers. My other cards transfer footage.... including another identical cfast card and other Lexar cfast 2.0 cards.

Anyone know how to transfer the footage??

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick.lang

Re: Cfast 2 card reading but will not transfer

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 4:22 am

Doesn’t make sense to me. You can play it back in the card reader on your computer but you cannot copy the ProRes clip to your computer? On a Mac, in a Finder window where you can see all your ProRes files, you cannot drag them to another Finder window on your destination drive? Is there a permissions problem to where you want the file to be copied? What error do you get when you can’t copy it to another location?

Rick Lang

Brian Nager

PostWed Oct 03, 2018 3:15 am

Hey rick! Thanks for responding! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help.

I can play the files in camera, and in Lexar cfast 2.0 drive.... but when I try to transfer them, just drag and drop into my destination folder, on Mac or PC, it starts (which gives hope!) and then fails in a few seconds saying transfer/copy could not be completed. On that same card, I can get a few files to transfer, but that’s about 5 files out of 32 files (I think). The rest of the files just sit there on the card, laughing at me :) lol

They are pretty important clips, as they are supposed to be a part of an interview within a documentary. Project due in a month :/

On a probably important note, the UM4.6k froze during recording a number of times just trying to record a basic 24fps at 4.6k ProRes LT.... nothing fancy. Because of this I ended up shooting everything in 2k LT. So, I’m wondering if the crash of the camera messed up the files across the whole card, even though it only crashed about 6 times during shoot.... yet all 32 files are being stubborn but 5.

I working off of the idea of when audio files corrupt (from like batteries dying mid-sentence) and the audio wave markers needing to be re-assembled. Sound plausible in the video world??

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 am

I’m not able to understand why you can playback everything in camera and on a computer via the card reader. When you say the camera crashed, do you mean you saw the exclamation mark in the record status that indicates dropped frames? Do you have menu item “Stop recording on dropped frames” turned On? It should always be turned On. Otherwise you may not notice the failure as the camera will continue to record.

Rick Lang

Brian Nager

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 7:59 pm

I would get the dropped frames exclamation point .... but then after that nothing on the camera would respond. Maybe that’s normal (?) and that’s why always to have stop recording if dropped frames? However, if camera freezes and doesn’t respond to any button, I can’t shut it off without disconnecting battery. Does dropping frames usually lead to complete camera meltdown? On my other (BM and non-BM) cameras I never had this problem, so maybe it’s just that I’m not educated enough in the UM4.6k camera to know what to do with them for good operation, or knowing their limits, like where they just can’t shoot.

Hopefully this isn’t, but if that’s the case.... it seems I wouldn’t be able to record in any humidity levels or heat at all. Camera froze/crashed along with dropping frames in Florida, San Francisco, India, southern CA, etc.

Is the UM4.6k just an indoors, studio camera? I was thinking it was being sold as more robust than that.

And yes, super weird that my videos play on card reader and in camera, but won’t transfer on either MAC or PC.

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 05, 2018 5:16 am

No, having the camera stop recording when there are dropped frames never causes everything to freeze. You should go directly to BMD Support on this peculiar series of events. And please do set that option On to stop recording with dropped frames.

The camera does have a temperature and humidity range, but most people have reported they’ve shot successfully beyond the published range. As you say the camera reads the cards, the computer can see the video, but the operating system can’t copy the files.

Rick Lang

Return to Post Production