Media Express and Drop Frame Timecode not working

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

kspickler

Media Express and Drop Frame Timecode not working

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with Media Express (Desktop Video 10.11.2) not capturing DFTC? I'm trying to ingest from a DFTC DigiBeta tape but the timecode on the captured file (ProRes) is non-drop. "Use dropped frame timecode" is selected in preferences, and LTC is going into the UltraStudio 4K. The timecode values in the interface show the ';' indicating DFTC.

Is this a known bug, and is there a trick to make this work?

When playing the captured file back in another application (i.e. QT7 or Switch), you can see that the timecode track is non-drop.
ndftc.png
ndftc.png (38.69 KiB) Viewed 1755 times

You can also see the timecode value isn't dropping frames where it should be.
dropframe-issue.png
dropframe-issue.png (52.28 KiB) Viewed 1755 times

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Media Express and Drop Frame Timecode not working

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 9:26 pm

If I remember well it's simply a bug which has been there from day one.
Easy solution is just to edit MOV headers to change timecode to DF.
You can pm me if you are interested, but I warn you that I don't share my solutions for free- there is small charge (eg. 10$ or so).

kspickler

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:there is small charge (eg. 10$ or so).

Thanks. I understand where you might be coming from, but that's not how I work. If I was a mooch and you already helped me extensively, perhaps that would make sense, but that's not the case here. If we were buddies I'd buy you a beer, though!

JES Extensifier, if you can get your hands on a recent copy, seems to allow changing the QT atoms that define the timecode track. Luckily I've got a copy and my initial tests with it have shown to be positive. It would be nice to avoid this step.

leemyung

PostSat Oct 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Did you solve this issue?
I have the same problem.
When I capture tapes using Media Express, version 3.5.6, I see the timecode with semi-colons, but after capturing, the file has non-drop frame timecode(and also in FCPX).

But, I have another station at work and that station has Media Express, version 3.5.1. That doesn't have any problem. It capture tapes and the files have drop frame timecode.

kspickler

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 5:55 pm

leemyung wrote:Did you solve this issue?
I have the same problem.

I did not “solve” the problem. Modifying the QuickTime atom is just a workaround.

Can you tell me which version of the Desktop Video software you have that is working with the older application? With any luck it’ll work with the UltraStudio 4K.

leemyung

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Can you tell me which version of the Desktop Video software you have that is working with the older application? With any luck it’ll work with the UltraStudio 4K.

I have UltraStudio Express with Desktop Video version 10.6.2, which is working at another station.

Return to Post Production