Routing same audio to different destinations w/ VideoHub

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

ejpontius

Routing same audio to different destinations w/ VideoHub

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 8:10 pm

We've ordered a Smart Videohub 40x40 to replace an old router we have in our studio. I'm wondering if it is possible to route the audio only from one source to other destinations or if it is just a one to one thing.
We've got a three camera setup that we'd like to record ISO's to three Hyperdeck Mini's as well as a switched program to a Hyperdeck Studio Pro. For the ISO's I can route the video coming from the cameras to the Hyperdeck mini's but it would be nice to also take the program audio going to the Hyperdeck Studio Pro and send it to the hyperdeck minis.
Is it possible to send video from one source and audio from another to the same destination with the Smart Videohub?
I can't find anything in the menu that mentions this.

Jack Fairley

Re: Routing same audio to different destinations w/ VideoHub

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:44 pm

No. Are you using a separate audio mixer? Which switcher are you using?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 am

Because the audio is embedded into the video data it is not possible to switch over audio to a different destination from a video hub.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ejpontius

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:16 pm

I figured as much.

We're also putting in a ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4k switcher with the ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Switcher.

We got 3 Ursa Mini 4k cameras, which will ultimately connect to the VideoHub. Audio is coming from a Mackie mixer and mics are sent through a delay box in order to sync with the URSA's as they take a little bit to process the video.
I'd like to get ISO's from each of the cameras and record them to the 3 Hyperdeck Minis.

The wrinkles I've got at the moment are with the Hyperdeck Mini's. I want to do two things... send timecode to the 3 Hyperdeck Minis that are the camera ISO's and the Hyperdeck Studio Pro which is the program record. And send program audio to all 4.
The Hyperdeck Mini's don't have TC in and can only read embedded timecode. Buying 3 Hyperdeck Studio Pro's wasn't in the budget. The solution was to buy 3 Blackmagic Audio to SDI Mini Teranenex boxes which can apparently be configured to embed timecode from the 2nd XLR input.
However, I'm not sure how to get program audio also sent to the Hyperdeck mini's without another set of Audio to SDI converters.

Will be sending tri-level sync to the URSA's and the switcher and whatever else will need it.

I'll probably send the main out from the Mackie mixer to the ATEM which in turn will embed it for the program out. I might be able to split out the audio and use some sort of distribution amp to 3 outputs and then run one channel into each of the Audio to SDI converters.

The goal is to be able to be able to have a 3 camera switched feed and ISO's recorded to the Hyperdecks for later editing.

Jack Fairley

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Simplest solution is to send timecode into the ATEM, send the audio mixer's output into the ATEM, and send cameras out of the aux outputs of the ATEM into recorders. That should have embedded audio and working timecode. No need for the Teranex boxes in this case.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 9:20 am

Exactly what Jack says.. We do it the same way. Your 4ME has a Timecode input. If you use a Timecode source like a Timecode generator or even just sync once a day with an audio cable into an Ipad running Timecode Toolbox https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/timecode-toolbox/id493560306?mt=8

Then all SDI outputs on your atem run with Timecode embedded. But yes it will cost you the AUX outputs to run to those Hyperdecks.

Different methode is distribute the Timecode to the Ursa's. (Input at the REF input) And hit the timecode button. (If setup right in the menu of the Ursa )this will Jam sync the camera to the timecode and embed timecode in the SDI output of the camera.
This will enable you to send the Ursa's straight to the Hyperdecks from the videohub, freeing up your AUX outputs on the Atem. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ejpontius

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 2:36 pm

I hadn't thought of that. Just noticed a that the Broadcast 4k has 6 Aux outputs and can route any input to any of those Aux outputs, so that's probably what I'll do. Send each camera to one Aux output each. I'm assuming that program audio can be set to be embedded in the camera SDI? It's not just going to route the camera input as is back out the Aux without embedding the program audio?
That would leave 3 additional aux outputs.

I'm going to still route everything through the Smart VideoHub for some added flexibility.

With the URSA's it has a ref/tc input, but it is an either or situation. If it recognizes genlock it uses it, if it sees timecode it uses it as timecode. For this switched scenario, I'm not so worried about sending TC to the cameras as they won't be recording. More important to have sync between everything even though I know the ATEM can re-sync.

We just took delivery yesterday afternoon of all this gear and unfortunately I'm going to be out of town the next couple of days...so it's like opening all your Christmas presents but not being able to play with them for a few days.

As I get more into the build I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated.

Jack Fairley

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 6:30 pm

ejpontius wrote:I hadn't thought of that. Just noticed a that the Broadcast 4k has 6 Aux outputs and can route any input to any of those Aux outputs, so that's probably what I'll do. Send each camera to one Aux output each. I'm assuming that program audio can be set to be embedded in the camera SDI? It's not just going to route the camera input as is back out the Aux without embedding the program audio?
That would leave 3 additional aux outputs.

Aux outputs are not loop outs, they are synced to ATEM's timing and carry audio/timecode.
I'm going to still route everything through the Smart VideoHub for some added flexibility.

Definitely do this. I have the 4ME sending all inputs/outputs through the router, which makes troubleshooting and changes very easy. It's like this in an OBV for a reason.
With the URSA's it has a ref/tc input, but it is an either or situation. If it recognizes genlock it uses it, if it sees timecode it uses it as timecode. For this switched scenario, I'm not so worried about sending TC to the cameras as they won't be recording. More important to have sync between everything even though I know the ATEM can re-sync.

The Ursa can sync using the SDI return feed used for talkback/CCU/tally. If you search on the Live subforum there are posts about it. If you're going to run another SDI to each camera, I would use that and not just reference input.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

ejpontius

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 3:29 am

Finally getting a chance to install all this hardware. I've used the advice from this thread.

I'm running the audio main out from the mackie mixer into the analog audio in on the Broadcast switcher.
A small timecode generator connected to the switcher.
A genlock connected to the switcher, cameras. I'll also run program out to each of the cameras.

SmartHub routing the 3 camera inputs to 3 inputs on the switcher.
Program out from the switcher runs back to the router and then to the Hyperdeck Studio Pro.
3 Aux outs route each of the 3 camera ISO's back to the router, then to each of the hyperdeck minis.
Using the Hyperdeck Panel browser control I can hit a button to start all 4 decks recording.

Thanks for the help.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 9:45 am

Last week they released a Firmware update for the Ursa mini Pro. To enable timecode sync on the SDI return line of the Ursa.
So it will sync now to the Atem Timecode embeded in the PGM feed.

Unfortunatly at this moment this update only works for the Ursa mini Pro. But i hope will trickle down to all Ursa Mini models in upcoming FW releases. As that will save the Aux busses on the Atem. You would be able to send the camera feed direct from the Hub to the Hyperdeck as the cameras will all run in the same Timecode. :)

Just waiting for the next FW release ;)

Return to Post Production