UltraStudio Mini Monitor Sync issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

kris.audioplanet

UltraStudio Mini Monitor Sync issues

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 10:49 am

I have been looking into getting an external, video dedicated box for my Music to Picture chores. So far I have been using the native output of my 2013 Mac Pro and a Thunderbolt Hub with HDMI out. Wishing for a more solid sync between video and audio, I started looking and stumbled across this little guy. But...
Here is a test of this device at Pro Tools Expert.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... 2cl1c1hfri

They apparently had quite a bit of issues with it. Has any one had a similar experience? The test was made a few years back. Perhaps this has been sorted now?
Music Production Studio, based in Poland. I compose and produce music as well as sound to picture and independent artists. I am also a co-founder of the pro audio monitor company here Poland named APS.

Marc Wielage

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor Sync issues

PostSun Oct 28, 2018 4:12 am

I used one for a couple of years and never had a problem with it. I used three different frame rates: 23.98, 24.00, and 29.97, and everything worked. It did take a couple of tries, rebooting, and so on, but once it worked it stayed working forever (until I replaced it with an UltraStudio 4K, and later an Extreme 3).

The key is to install the right Desktop Video driver, and then check to make sure everything works with Blackmagic Media Express. If the latter "sees" the Mini Monitor, then you should be able to playback any standard video file, like ProRes or DNxHD or something like that. If Express can't see the device, then Resolve won't be able to see it, either.

You also need to make sure you choose a decent calibrated monitor that can work with the frame rates and standard pixel sizes that come out of Resolve. Not all computer displays will work, particularly if they're stuck at 72Hz or something like that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production