Mini Monitor 4K to HD Converter - Which one?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Brian Ford

Mini Monitor 4K to HD Converter - Which one?

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 3:10 pm

I currently have a Blackmagic Mini Monitor Thunderbolt (1080p version) connected to a 2013 Mac Pro Trash Can via Thunderbolt 2 and want to upgrade to the Blackmagic Mini Monitor 4K. I have a Flanders CM 250 monitor (1080p) as well as an LG E7 55" OLED 4K client monitor. Both are currently getting 1080p feeds since I don't have the 4K hardware yet.

I'm planning on putting the Blackmagic Mini Monitor 4K in an Akitio Thunder2 PCIe box and connect to the Mac Pro via Thunderbolt 2. It seems that the Mini Monitor 4K outputs the same single on both the SDI and HDMI outputs, It would be nice if it was user-selectable to have 4K signal on the HDMI output, and 1080p on the SDI output, but that doesn't seem to be an option, so I'm looking for advice on which converter I should use to convert the 4K signal from the SDI output to 1080p to run to the Flanders monitor. I've looked through all of the BMD converters and I'm a bit confused as to which one would do the conversion correctly. Or, if someone has a better solution for this situation I'm all ears. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jack Fairley

Re: Mini Monitor 4K to HD Converter - Which one?

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 pm

I think the better solution is to buy a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G (or discontinued 4K Pro), since a scaler is not cheap. Those cards can do simultaneous UHD/HD monitoring, search on the forum for more info.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Brian Ford

Re: Mini Monitor 4K to HD Converter - Which one?

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks for the reply Jack. That's exactly what I ended up deciding to do. I went ahead and ordered the Decklink 4K Extreme 12G after finding another post that was very similar to mine. And it works out to be less costly than adding in an expensive converter.

Return to Post Production