Editing p4k Prores HQ painfully slow in Premiere on Windows

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jcorbz

Editing p4k Prores HQ painfully slow in Premiere on Windows

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm

Used my p4k in anger for the first time yesterday - loving the footage so far! Editing is interesting, however...

It's my time using prores as a codec (coming from cameras that shoot h264) and I'm finding Premiere on Windows is struggling with playback even at half resolution with no effects applied - it's just very choppy. I'm using a desktop with 6700k CPU and a GTX1080. Surprisingly, my 2013 macbook pro actually handles the files rather well in the timeline, and manages to export the same project about 10 minutes quicker too.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem with prores on Windows, or if I just haven't set up my software properly. So, couple of questions:

Is there anything I can do to make prores files play nice with Windows/Premiere?
    Am I destined to always need proxies/transcode to another codec to edit prores smoothly on a PC?
    Will Resolve work with prores files better than Premiere - or is this a limit of the OS/hardware combo?
    Will BRAW (when it arrives) effectively solve this problem as it will support Windows natively?

Peter Cave

Re: Editing p4k Prores HQ painfully slow in Premiere on Wind

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 7:19 am

For Windows I always avoid prores and use Avid MXF codecs. They just work better. ProRes is a proprietary Apple developed codec. You can use it but many users have reported problems on Windows with certain hardware/software combinations.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Uli Plank

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:51 am

Same here. ProRes for Mac OS and DNxHR for Windows.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

John Paines

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 4:18 pm

I can't answer for performance in Premiere, but Prores playback works fine in Windows, and it's not clear why performance would be poor on your system. Likeliest cause is disk access speed. Some 7200rpm drives have trouble with 4K, if that's what you're using.

If you can eliminate the disk, I would try playback in Resolve (or even VLC) and see what happens. In Resolve, you might want to start with the 4K clips on a 1080p timeline.

Jcorbz

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 8:40 am

I’m editing straight off an SSD so I don’t think it’s the disk speed. Playback seems okay in QuickTime/vlc player, it’s just Premiere that stutters. Might be time to try out Resolve.

Uli Plank

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Could be. By now nearly all NLEs use their own decoding for ProRes on Windows instead of the QT framework.
Just give the free version a try and find out.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Post Production