USB-C flickering / blinking issues w/ decklink duo 2 and UDC

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

dliteevent

USB-C flickering / blinking issues w/ decklink duo 2 and UDC

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 1:09 am

Today i've got my new UpDown Cross HD Converter hopefully get rid of the annoying screen flickering / blinking problem when a Computer with USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 (Mac Book Pro) is connected to my Decklink duo 2 by HDMI -> SDI Micro converter…

I thought it is a frame rate issue that could be solved with scalers etc... but no way:

I'm still get blinking signal, even on HDMI-Out (with or without scaler set as active) (connected to a monitor which is working fine with computer connected directly to it).

What I’ve tried so far:

- different HDMI Cables
- different USB-C Adaptors (original Apple, cheap china, everything)
- different Converters: BMD Micro Converter, Cheap China (same issue)
- different SDI cables

In any case: the MBP had no issue connected to Monitor with HDMI directly.

For now, I'm going to send the Device back... but I Need to know: what are your plans on this issue… Mac Books and Computer with USB-C as only Video Output getting more and more prominent these days to just ignore.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: USB-C flickering / blinking issues w/ decklink duo 2 and

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 6:01 pm

If you take the adapter you have converting to HDMI connecting to a Micro converter HDMI>SDI to a broadcast monitor, are you seeing flickering? There are a lot of parts in this so narrowing down the specifics is what we need to establish to figure out exactly where the issue lies.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Jan-Willem

Re: USB-C flickering / blinking issues w/ decklink duo 2 and

PostWed Feb 27, 2019 4:08 pm

I have the exact same issue with mini and micro HDMI to SDI converters, sometimes it flickers and sometimes it doesn't work at all. All laptops I try work, except the newer Macbooks with thunderbolt3.
If I connect the Macbook directly with the same thunderbolt3 to HDMI converter everything works just fine.
When I use a Roland VC-1SC instead of a Blackmagic mini or micro converter it also works.
Does anyone else als experienced these problems?

Return to Post Production