Maximizing Performance - CPU not being fully utilized??

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael C. Jenkins

Maximizing Performance - CPU not being fully utilized??

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 1:32 am

Hi all,

This applies to multiple sub-forums here so I am cross-posting this.

I am running a desktop computer that I built in 2009. Last year I upgraded the CPU to the best I could get for my X58 motherboard, the Xeon X5690, and upgraded my RAM to 48GB of DDR3. I also have a GTX 1070 that I purchased last year. Recently I overclocked the CPU and it is stable at ~4.5 GHz.

Point is, I have a powerful 6-core tower with a CPU that is 7 years old.

I would like better performance out of Resolve and Fusion, but I don't think my current CPU is being fully utilized by Resolve/Fusion so I can't say whether an entirely new computer will actually speed up rendering.

I know that theoretically a modern CPU with the same clock speed and number of cores/threads should seriously outperform my current CPU because a modern CPU can handle more calculations per clock cycle.

However, since my performance bottleneck seems to be my VRAM, I need to know if a second GPU would help more than a new CPU/mobo/RAM.

When I run Task Manager and watch my performance graphs while working in Fusion/Resolve, at no point is my CPU hitting close to 100% utilization. It tends to hover around 50% at most, and that's on all 12 threads.

It's also not hitting the max memory that Resolve can use, I think it's set to use 32 GB and at most it uses around 30 GB.

The one metric that I can see maxed out consistently is my GPU Memory Utilization, it's often utilizing the full 8 GB of VRAM.

[[I'm not home now but when I get home (and get my internet working again) I will take screenshots and add them to this post to illustrate what I'm saying.]]

So here's what I'm wondering: Will a modern CPU/RAM upgrade improve my render times in Fusion and Resolve more so than a second graphics card?

Essentially, I don't feel that it's worth building an entirely new computer if it's not currently hitting 100% CPU utilization because that makes me believe the bottleneck lies elsewhere.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thank you!

MishaEngel

Re: Maximizing Performance - CPU not being fully utilized??

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 7:55 pm

What is your GPU utilization during Rendering? when this is also below 80% your bottleneck is the harddrive for source/target material or the speed of the memory.

Michael C. Jenkins

Re: Maximizing Performance - CPU not being fully utilized??

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 12:46 am

See attached screenshots.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (156.16 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG (159.97 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Capture 3.JPG
Capture 3.JPG (129.54 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Return to Post Production