AE 2019 & Mercury Transmit with BMD causes crashes

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

chrisbrearley

AE 2019 & Mercury Transmit with BMD causes crashes

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm

When you open a new or recent project with you current project open you get these memory errors then AE will freeze. I was on with Adobe support for around an our trying to track down the cause. Turning off mercury transmit to my Intensity Pro 4k solves the issue. Using mercury transmit via nVidia causes no issues so I believe the problem is caused by the BMDTransmit file that lives in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore

This was reported to support yesterday but there as been no response as yet. No issues with AE 2018 or previous.

[attachment=0]ram.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
ram.jpg
ram.jpg (114.01 KiB) Viewed 2310 times

Justin Stephenson

Re: AE 2019 & Mercury Transmit with BMD causes crashes

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:51 am

I have been experiencing the same issue. I was experiencing similar crashes in 2018 as well - albeit randomly. It is a showstopper for AE and Decklink.

I have always found that AE and Mercury Transmit/Decklink have had a tenuous relationship:

- using BMD decklink with mercury transmit will work sometimes and not other times with no repeatable way to troubleshoot. Generally a restart of AE will fix the issue - but it's a pain.
- output scaling to the decklink raster size behaves in an odd fashion, again, sometimes it works and other times is does not.
- there is a significant delay in reactivity. As an example, changing positions of elements within a comp will be significantly delayed on on the mercury transmit/decklink monitor. Another example: when previewing a comp, mercury transmit/decklink will continue playing the loop long after you have moved on to other business.

My workaround, at this point, is to output displayport from my display card to my broadcast monitor (DM240). It works like a charm. I would not trust colour from my display card but it is a rock solid from a getting stuff done perspective. When I move on to Resolve, I turn off the output to the DM240 in the Nvidia control panel.
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
http://justinstephenson.com
---------
18.6.4 Studio, W11 Pro, 13700K, Z690 ASUS ProArt, lots of M.2, NAS w 10Gbe mass storage, 128GB RAM, RTX4090, UltraStudio Monitor 3G -> FSI DM240. Micro Panel, Speed Editor.

Justin Stephenson

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 am

I resolved the issue.

I contacted support and they let me know that this issue had not been reported in their ticketing system. I reexamined my configuration and realized that the slot running the Decklink card was running at 4X, not the specified 8X.

I have 40 available lanes with a 5960x. I did a bit of reconfiguration on my X99 motherboard (put the M.2 (4 lane) and U.2 (4 lane) drives onto interfaces sharing PCIe lanes with Slot 2, moved my (4 lane) 10GigE card there, moved the Decklink to Slot 5 and assigned it 8 lanes).

Everything is running well now. No crashes, no lag.

I still think that the scaling does not work very well with the plugin - having to choose scale up or scale down is a drag, and when you work with odd sized comps and pre-comps, it just simply does not work.

The good news, though, is that things are not crashing and there is no lag between interaction on my GUI and the video output.
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
---------
18.6.4 Studio, W11 Pro, 13700K, Z690 ASUS ProArt, lots of M.2, NAS w 10Gbe mass storage, 128GB RAM, RTX4090, UltraStudio Monitor 3G -> FSI DM240. Micro Panel, Speed Editor.

chrisbrearley

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am

I downgraded to Desktop Video 10.1.1 and this issues disappears. Same on the Mac in the studio as well. It seems whatever the cause of the crash is it manifests itself in 10.1.2 and onward.

Interesting that moving your decklink fixed it for you. All my slots are PCIe 3.0 x 16 so my Intensity 4k shouldn't have any problems there and the Mac is running out of thunderbolt so completely different setups with the same issue.

Justin Stephenson

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 2:21 pm

Upon further testing, I am still experiencing the crashes. I will attempt the downgrade to 10.1.

I did not move the card, I switched the interface of a U.2 NVMe drive that was sharing pci bandwidth with the same slot (slot 5) as my Decklink 4K Pro (U.2.2). I moved it to U.2.1 which shares bandwidth with Slot 2.

This allowed me to assign more bandwidth to the slot 5 (8X).

It did remedy the lag in interaction, but not the crashes. I will try your fix and report back.

- J
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
---------

Justin Stephenson

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Well this fixed the issue. I downgraded to 10.11.1 and am no longer experiencing crashes. I will file a ticket with support.
Justin Stephenson
Moving Image Designer
---------

Return to Post Production