Ultrastudio Mini Monitor output problem

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Slaven Blagsic

Ultrastudio Mini Monitor output problem

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 am

Two days ago I installed Ultrastudio Mini Monitor and after reading and trying all the possible solutions, I still didn't find proper solution.

So I installed latest Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_10.11.4.
Mac OSX Mojave recognised Monitor Mini and the light on the device is on. Also it's recognised in the Desktop Video app.
Whatever I tried I couldn't get the output screen on my LG IPS monitor, even from Davinci Resolve or Adobe Premiere CC 2019.
I tested with 5 different monitors, LGs and Samsungs and still couldn't get the full screen preview.
also I tried different TB ports, HDMI cables etc.

Only connecting to smallHD DP4, full screen preview monitor work proper, but it's 4" display only for filming.
Also i found one weird thing, in "Desktop Video Setup" if I select "SDI Output" to "Are output as 1080PsF segmented video" I get the screen in Resolve but that's not true progressive, and quality is bad with visible interlaced lines. I don't know how SDI setting can influence the output because I'm connected through HDMI.

Also I can get the full screen preview on the third monitor if I put the output setting to 720p50 in Resolve or 1080 50i. So I supposed it should be something with the HZ, because 1080p25 obviously is going at 25HZ which monitor can't reproduce but I think Blackmagic software should sort that out.

Please can someone has any idea what can I do else, is it software/firmware related or something else, I'm out of ideas and my project in Davinci Resolve is waiting.

Uli Plank

Re: Ultrastudio Mini Monitor output problem

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 3:01 am

Most computer monitors don't accept 25p. 1080PsF should work if your timeline is 25p, since it's only sending the picture from the same moment in time to two different fields. There shouldn't be any visible interlacing.

But maybe your screen is trying to do some stupid de-interlacing.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Slaven Blagsic

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 4:18 am

Yes but unfortunately it’s visible even on 5 different monitors I tested. I can’t believe Blackmagic didn’t solve that problem somehow with the software, since in Premiere we can get 1080p25 full screen preview even without any hardware. Finally I completely switched from Premiere and got cold shower.
I believe it’s software problem and it’s not nice after one invest additional money and specs doesn’t say nothing about compatibility or if that should work only with few special monitors. I’ve seen many people have the same problem with Eizo, HP and even Panasonic plasma TV.

Uli Plank

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 12:16 pm

I got a screen here that can show both 1080p25 and 1080i50 and there is no visible difference when sending the picture from Resolve 15. No interlacing artifacts whatsoever.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Slaven Blagsic

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Can you describe with which monitor and Resolve/Desktop Video settings?

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 am

Both a professional Panasonic SDI monitor and the Atomos Shogun 4K are accepting the signals.

The settings are like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0uj6x7sqwygssvu/Settings.png?dl=0

Slaven Blagsic

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 am

Yes but neither of them is a standard monitor. Unfortunately I’ve got the same settings and horizontal interlaced stripes while playing the video.

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 9:20 am

I have no idea where your interlaced stripes are coming from if your timeline is set to 1080p25.
There is simply no information to derive intermediate positions from.

And, of course, both are standard TV monitors, not computer monitors.

Slaven Blagsic

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:18 pm

By standard I meant PC monitors, obviously Mini Monitor has some problem with them because everything is ok if I test with SmallHD monitor. Anyway, thanks for your information.

andrevalmeida

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 6:25 pm

So, how can I setup an ultrastudio mini monitor to output a 1080PsF @ 25 signal when I have a 25p Premiere timeline? Premiere will force the video card to output regular 1080p25 (I can't change the output video signal with the Desktop Video app, it is locked and being controlled by Premiere).

Thanks.

Return to Post Production