Resolve - Choppy playback when applying transformation

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yiorgos Tryfonas

Resolve - Choppy playback when applying transformation

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 10:49 am

This is something I have been experiencing for quite a few versions now perhaps from version 12 or so and it's still there on the latest version.

When I have a clip on a track that it's above another clip and I apply transformation effects (Zoom, Position, Rotation Angle) and especially when those effects are dynamic (changing values) I experience choppy playback. When I disable all the clips on the tracks below that clip everything will play smoothly.

For example in the image I uploaded you can see the Chorus Far III clip that has some transformation effects applied. With the Chorus Far I below it enabled the playback will become choppy (it will eventually play after a few starts and stops then is going to be choppy again later on another playback). With the Chorus Far I disabled it will play totally fine every time. What I have been doing for quite a while now is to disable everything below which is of course not very pleasant.

Laying many clips like that, making vertical cuts and quickly checking each of the edit choices by disabling and enabling clips is a standard workflow for complex music videos with lipsync and dance performances with multiple takes.

I'm always using BRAW/CNDG clips of various settings not sure if the problem applies to ProRes or other formats.

Could the Resolve team have a quick look on this issue?
Thank you.
Attachments
2018-12-09 19_36_12-DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic Design - 15.2.jpg
2018-12-09 19_36_12-DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic Design - 15.2.jpg (243.15 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Marc Wielage

Re: Resolve - Choppy playback when applying transformation

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 3:07 am

Which version of Resolve? What OS? What hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, I/O)? What type of camera source files? Are you running the current GPU drivers?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Yiorgos Tryfonas

Re: Resolve - Choppy playback when applying transformation

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Which version of Resolve? What OS? What hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, I/O)? What type of camera source files? Are you running the current GPU drivers?

Hello Marc and thank you for the reply. I've answered most of these above but let me write them again here.The issue has been for years even with older versions of Resolve (and different GPU) and I'm running the latest version of Resolve now. Also as I'm saying above BRAW/CDNG.

Machine is Windows 10, Double XEON E5, 32GB, GTX 1080 with current drivers.

Pretty sure this is not hardware related though. It seems like software related and everybody would have the same exact problem given they are working with clips where two of them combined exceed the read speed of the project drive.

Here is why. When the transform options are happening, Resolve seems to be reading information that are on video tracks below although those are not visible at all. It makes sense because if let's say I transform a clip and zoom out and/or rotate, the clip below should become a bit visible at the edges. Therefore it needs to take part in the process and now two clips are read from the drive and processed requiring double the bandwidth. Thing is this is also happening when I'm just zooming in (cropping) and the clip below never becomes visible. So it seems like it's the routine that determines whether clips are actually part of the image and whether they should be processed that could be refined in order to avoid this issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve