Intensity Shuttle purchase questions

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Kye Leslie

Intensity Shuttle purchase questions

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 2:10 am

I am contemplating buying a BM Intensity Shuttle and had a few questions before I buy one.

My current setup is:
  • 2016 13" MacBook Pro
  • Dell Ultrasharp UP3216Q 31.5" monitor
  • Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort 6ft Cable
  • Resolve Studio
  • Datacolor Spyder 4 PRO calibration device
The current setup has the Dell monitor as an extension of the UI. The main problems are that Resolve will only use the MacBook display in fullscreen mode, and although I have calibrated both monitors through the OS, there is always a question about how accurate this is with Resolve.

My plan was to buy a Resolve compatible output device like the Intensity Shuttle and use the Dell as a reference monitor and calibrate it through Resolve.
I'm only an (over)enthusiastic amateur so calibration isn't absolutely critical, it's more that I'd like a larger preview window while editing and grading. I'm also fine with only monitoring in 1080.

My questions:
  • If I buy the Intensity Shuttle USB version, connect it to the Mac via USB3, and connect it to the Dell via HDMI, will it work with Resolve like that? or will I need any additional hardware or software?
  • With that setup, can I calibrate it through Resolve with my Datacolor Spyder 4 PRO calibration device? I know that device is a few generations old now, so I'm not sure if it's supported.
  • When you have this kind of setup can you disable the viewer in the UI to save some processing power on playback?
Also, is there anything else I should know? I'm new to dedicated hardware monitoring setups.

Thanks!!

Return to Post Production