2018 Premiere Pro CC to Resolve 15.2 (XML ISSUE - SOLVED -)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

MichaelPattiTN

2018 Premiere Pro CC to Resolve 15.2 (XML ISSUE - SOLVED -)

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Still baffles me that I have to reinvent the wheel or so it feels when I start a new show...

Here we go...

I am grading and finishing a new reality series that was shot with Fs7's and GoPros...

Shooting Specs
Type: MXF
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 23.976
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Gamma: SGam3.Cine/S-Log3

I was given 8 - 10min Episodes. I will try to keep this as simple as possible, but there was really no post-workflow established from the beginning and the editors cut every episode with Multi-Cam sequences, in my experience that is a big no no for round-tripping to Resolve or and other software outside of the Adobe universe. Never the less, I started the task to flatten and clean all the sequences so I could reexport for a smooth conform.

Attempt 1

- Flattened all Muli-cam sequences
- Offlined all media in sequence and then Relinked everything
- I laid my reference over to double check the project
- Watched it back, made some small adjustments with some missing footage and then exported a new XML
- I did this with each episode 1-8 and everything looked fine.

Once I got the XMLs into davinci (I always assume there will be issues always) But this is much different.

I only have the raw data on my drive for finishing...no proxies, no references other than the episode exports to compare. I was also on set and I am very familiar with every inch of the data, plus our DIT ran checksums and logs for each roll. Other then some weird naming conventions (Cam A is D) example D001_C001 instead of starting with A001_C001...everything is fine. The file names in the timeline are clear and easily linkable.

To sum all of this up, I have been doing so much research, talking to BMD and scouring forums and I just can't get a solid solution. Also most of the discussions related this issue revolve around Timecode, multicam flattening issues, mixed frame rate issues, the list goes on. But all of these talks span from 2012-2015 and we all know software and tech is moving at such a high rate of speed that who knows what the issue could be.

My next plan of action is the following...

1) Unzip my master project file zip and extract the original Premiere Projects (essentially starting from scratch)

2) In Premiere I am going to locate the multicam sequences and identify the metadata, particularly how it names the footage when it cuts. ***FUN NOTE*** I did find in metadata earlier that they originally cut the multicams with proxies*** So that adds a whole other layer to this conundrum.

3) I am going to try to identify the processed files in the media browser and contrast the TC's in and outs in the sequences.

TL/DR - Can somebody please help me round trip these sequences to resolve with the particular situation above.

Thanks guys!

Uli Plank

Re: 2018 Premiere Pro CC to Resolve 15.2 (XML ISSUE - SOLVED

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Do all of your clips have their tape/reel field occupied?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

Re: 2018 Premiere Pro CC to Resolve 15.2 (XML ISSUE - SOLVED

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 5:45 am

Gee, I'd love to hear what the solution was.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production