EDL Scene Cut Detection Frame Missmatch

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

joaonp

EDL Scene Cut Detection Frame Missmatch

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 pm

I've just received a flat render from a feature with XML and EDL.

When I load the EDL into the Scene Cut Detection tool, it identifies the cuts correctly until half of the movie, then it starts to cut one frame before the correct one. I loaded the XML into Premiere to check if there was something wrong, even with offline media, but I couldn't find anything. Everything is set to 24p, and I cannot find any other source for this problem. I'm going to report it back for the editor and see if he finds out anything but anyway... Does someone know what might be happening and how to solve it?

Marc Wielage

Re: EDL Scene Cut Detection Frame Missmatch

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 5:48 am

Which version of Resolve? There was a Beta-release of Resolve 14 that would export lists 1 frame early (or late), but this was solved in the final release version.

I'm literally cutting a 90-minute project tonight, and the cuts are fine in 15.2.2. There are the usual problems where some shots get missed, or short low-contrast shots with a lot of movement get multiple splits, but those are solvable manually. If your situation happened to me, I'd just start it all over again and assume it's just one of those things.

I would watch out for weird variables like 23.98 vs. 24.00 or 29.97 vs. 30.00, or (god forbid) Dropframe timecode vs. Non-Drop.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production