Recording graphics (with key) from a Mosaic

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

RonHumer

Recording graphics (with key) from a Mosaic

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 1:44 pm

I have a project coming up that I need to incorporate graphics from an external graphics (Chyron Mosaic) machine and layer them over my edit in Davinci Resolve. The signal from the Mosaic comes optionally as a key in one connector (bnc) and fill in a 2nd connector or the key and fill paired into a single signal.

My main editing system has the BM UltraStudio 4K thunderbolt to 2013 Mac Pro and I also have a Blackmagic Design Decklink SDI 4K card. I use Davinci for digitizing but would use Media Express, Premiere or FCP's to accomplish goal.

Does anyone have experience recording the paired signal to be able to create a file that has it's matching key(alpha/matte) tied to it?

Appreciate your help...

Ron Humer

Jack Fairley

Re: Recording graphics (with key) from a Mosaic

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 8:25 pm

I haven't worked with a Mosaic, but I would just record the key and fill signals one at a time, assuming the graphics are not being manually triggered.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

RonHumer

Re: Recording graphics (with key) from a Mosaic

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks Jack. That seems to be the best and only option at this point. I was hoping to hear if there was a solution already out there to interpret the mix signal. Luckily the graphics are short in length ....

Return to Post Production