Weird recorded sound behaviour on playback

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

octavezero

Weird recorded sound behaviour on playback

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi everyone, sorry for this question that may be silly, but it is puzzling me. Here it is:

- Yesterday I got a new lav mic
- 2 clips recorded on my DSLR on the go
- Same settings 2 clips
- Rode VideoMic Pro for 1 clip
- Lavalier for 1 clip
- Both clips from the same machine, shot with the same settings imported in the software.

Within Resolve, the Rode clip sounds ok, the Lav clip sounds like recorded on a different sample rate (a tad slower). The video plays fine in both case and I do not have out-of-sync issues.

Within Adobe Premiere they both sound perfectly fine as aspected and as it should.

I tried several times and looked for any possible setting that came in my mind but... nothing. Same behaviour all the times. Davinci plays the lav clips differently than the Rode despite the original settings, where Premiere is perfectly fine.

Thank you in advance for any help

Brad Hurley

Re: Weird recorded sound behaviour on playback

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Do you have these clips on separate tracks (i.e., Rode Video Mic on one track, Lavalier on another track)? If so, check the track settings to be sure they're set correctly to either mono or stereo: your Rode video mic is presumably stereo, whereas the lav would be mono. Take a look at the number that appears in the far right top corner of the track header, it should be either 1 or 2. If your lav clip is showing 2 that means Resolve is treating it as a stereo rather than mono track. Right-click in the track header and you'll see an option to change the track type, and from there you can choose mono for the lav track.

I don't know if that would fix your problem if it is actually playing slower, but maybe in stereo you're hearing an illusion of it being slower? It will probably just be coming out of one speaker and would certainly sound strange compared with how it sounds in mono.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

octavezero

Re: Weird recorded sound behaviour on playback

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Thank you so much for the support. I did actually followed your advice, but I cuold not find anything wrong. They where 2 clips on the same track by the way.

I did sort it out in the end and it was due, actually, to windows. I don't know exactly what, but after I did noce other strange behaviours I decided to reset the machine and re-install windows. Now, everything works as supposed to.

Return to Post Production