Should I buy Intensity Pro or Decklink monitor?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bstaley

Should I buy Intensity Pro or Decklink monitor?

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 2:52 pm

I am trying to decide between the Intensity Pro 4k and Decklink Mini Monitor 4k. When it comes to only monitoring on an additional monitor, is there any difference between the two? My understanding is there is no processing done on the card itself. It just displays what it is given, so I don't think there would be a difference.

One other concern is the possibility of video capture. I have some old family VHS I need to archive and the capture ability of the Intensity would come in handy, but not at the expense of monitoring abilities.

One last thing, I have a Canopus ADVC-300 which I bought many years ago when I started transferring my old VHS. (I didn't finish.) Would there be an appreciable difference in quality between the Canopus capture and the Intensity Pro? At the time the Canopus was pretty highly regarded, but I'm wondering if the technology of the Intensity has well surpassed it.

Thanks.
Windows 10
AMD Threadripper 5950x
32GB RAM
nVidia GTX 1080
All SSD
Resolve Studio 17

Peter Cave

Re: Should I buy Intensity Pro or Decklink monitor?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 8:52 am

It really depends on whether you need SDI or not. Image quality is pretty much identical. You can add a Mini Recorder card at a later date if you buy the Mini Monitor 4k.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

bstaley

Re: Should I buy Intensity Pro or Decklink monitor?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks for the response. I have no need for SDI, so it seems the Intensity Pro would suit my needs. Do you have any idea about the quality of the video capture vs the Canopus ADVC-300? Thanks.
Windows 10
AMD Threadripper 5950x
32GB RAM
nVidia GTX 1080
All SSD
Resolve Studio 17

Return to Post Production