Mini monitor dropouts on HDMI output

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

DeWitteSocrates

Mini monitor dropouts on HDMI output

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Hello group

I have a problem with HDMI on my Mini Monitor.

I’m on a Mac Pro with an audio program (Nuendo) and I replaced my Decklink studio (from 2011) for a Mini Monitor, because I needed the PCIe space. Since the replacement I have a serious dropouts of the HDMI signal.

This is the situation:

I have a splitter connected with a short hi-speed cable to the Mini Monitors HDMI output. The splitter signal goes to 2 screens with hi-speed HDMI cables of 15 meters long.
As I said, there are serious drop outs of the signal, but when I remove the splitter and put one of the two 15 meters HDMI cables directly to the mini monitor output, the signal is fine (only thing is that when the monitors go to standby, the monitors loos the HDMI connection when turned on again. I have to remove the HDMI cable from the Mini Monitor output and put it back in to get the signal back. This doesn’t happen with power down, only with standby).

To test if the splitter is broken, I used a blu ray player signal and an Apple TV signal to test, but that plays fine on 2 screens with the same cables. I also tested a new different brand splitter and that one also gave dropouts/purple green screen/doubled image.

What can be wrong? As I said, the old Decklink studio worked fine with the same setup, but with the new mini monitor I can’t get a proper signal to two monitors.

Best, Alan
Sound studio
2 mac pro’s with 2 mini monitors

Return to Post Production