Got handed a Premiere project. Workflow with many clips?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Viktor Schroeder

Got handed a Premiere project. Workflow with many clips?

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi guys,

I'm considering to move to Resolve, but am a bit confused about the best workflow and how to round trip.

Example: My editor sends me a musicvideo with 100+ clips, cuts, fancy transition and loads of speed ramping and what not. How should I deal with this if I want to use resolve as my color grading tool?

The scene detection will not work, due to the many clips and transition and will the .xml method support the speed ramping?
I'm a bit of confused about how to tackle this!

Thanks in advance :)

Andrew Taran

Re: Got handed a Premiere project. Workflow with many clips?

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm work in Premiere and the only way to make it work would be an XML roundtrip, which is unfortunately far away from being perfect in Resolve.

Shaheryar Ahmed

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 6:29 am

Why dont you try to generate an EDL from premiere and export a dpx sequence or a lossless video. Import it in resolve and pre confrom it with the edl. You will have to apply the transitions in resolve. Better to do the tranisitions last!
-SHAHERYAR AHMED-

Clay Coleman

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 7:29 am

At the moment, the xml route from PPro to Resolve won't handle speed ramps, resizes or transitions. At least, not at all reliably. Whether or not it ever will is a good question. Adobe would rather see you working in Speedgrade, although that doesn't work especially well (yet? ever?) either.

So, like they said, an edl notch or scene detect are the only real options. Otherwise, grade the source clips. Depending on how they were managed, it might be the best way to go.

Return to Post Production