Monitoring In 2:1 Aspect Ratio?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Shane McGee

Monitoring In 2:1 Aspect Ratio?

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Is there any Blackmagic monitoring hardware that will allow you to monitor in 2:1 aspect ratio? (or any aspect ratio aside from 16:9)

I have a MiniMonitor and it works fine for 16:9 out to a 1080p TV but if you try to set up your project in FCPX to 2:1 aspect ratio, it tries to squish the image on the external monitor (TV in this case) and there is seemingly no way to make it display correctly. I know I could probably just go HDMI out directly from my Mac but I use the MiniMonitor with Resolve so I don't want to have to physically switch set ups constantly just to see a properly displayed image.

From my research I don't think there is a way to get the MiniMonitor to properly scale the image it's outputting for 2:1/2.35:1/2.39:1 etc, but are any of the other Blackmagic devices capable of doing this? (Specifically in FCPX)

Surely there must be so some way to do this normally as not everything is shot and delivered in 16:9?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Monitoring In 2:1 Aspect Ratio?

PostTue Feb 26, 2019 10:43 am

Normally it's all letterboxed, but due to limited support between apps and BM card you may have hard time to achieve this. It's up to host app to "form" final image and push to BM card which of course supports only strict resolution signals, where it's all mainly 16x9 aspect.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 1:34 am

The scaling and aspect ratio are mainly done inside Resolve, not inside the box.

I have worked in 2.00:1 and 2.39:1 all the time as a native resolution, while watching on a 16x9 display. There aren't a lot of 2.00:1 or 2.39:1 displays out there, but I think it would be possible to create a custom output sizing if you really wanted. It's possible you'd need the 4K UltraStudio (or a more current model) to do that.

Even when doing 2.39 for a theatrical release, I don't think about the size of the display... I think about what's in the image. When it winds up in theaters, that's all people are going to see. They're not going to notice the walls, the ceiling, or the chewing gum on the floor.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Shane McGee

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 4:41 am

Marc Wielage wrote:The scaling and aspect ratio are mainly done inside Resolve, not inside the box.

I have worked in 2.00:1 and 2.39:1 all the time as a native resolution, while watching on a 16x9 display. There aren't a lot of 2.00:1 or 2.39:1 displays out there, but I think it would be possible to create a custom output sizing if you really wanted. It's possible you'd need the 4K UltraStudio (or a more current model) to do that.

Even when doing 2.39 for a theatrical release, I don't think about the size of the display... I think about what's in the image. When it winds up in theaters, that's all people are going to see. They're not going to notice the walls, the ceiling, or the chewing gum on the floor.

Yeah I'm sure it works in Resolve, but the issue at hand is more getting non-16x9 aspect ratios to display correctly in FCPX, Premiere, etc (everything but Resolve). Specifically with the Blackmagic hardware, instead of just going straight HDMI out of the Mac to the TV or other monitor for playback.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:01 pm

Complain to Apple and Adobe. Only they can fix it. It's not really BM issue.

Return to Post Production