Changin/Converting Project Frame Rate in post

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

matthiasduyck

Changin/Converting Project Frame Rate in post

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello all

Shot a bunch footage in ProRes with the Pocket cam at 48fps with a project frame rate of 24fps(exactly 24, not 23.976). This resulted in slow motion files at 24fps with the audio at regular speed and cutting of before the end of the video. This is all just like you would expect it to, however...

Say I wanted to have the footage back to regular speed(48fps) with the audio back in sync with the video, how would I go about doing this? Preferably without transcoding if possible and preferably with tools that I have(Resolve, after effects and premiere pro) or are free. It would have to be a process that I can do in batch for all files, without (much) manual work per clip.

Thanks for any tips you might have!

M.

matthiasduyck

Re: Changin/Converting Project Frame Rate in post

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

matthiasduyck wrote:Hello all

Shot a bunch footage in ProRes with the Pocket cam at 48fps with a project frame rate of 24fps(exactly 24, not 23.976). This resulted in slow motion files at 24fps with the audio at regular speed and cutting of before the end of the video. This is all just like you would expect it to, however...

Say I wanted to have the footage back to regular speed(48fps) with the audio back in sync with the video, how would I go about doing this? Preferably without transcoding if possible and preferably with tools that I have(Resolve, after effects and premiere pro) or are free. It would have to be a process that I can do in batch for all files, without (much) manual work per clip.

Thanks for any tips you might have!

M.

For those who are in the same boat as me, I was able to achieve my goal with Apple Compressor, with transcoding however.
Information here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21215?locale=en_US
Basically, in the appropriate tabs:
- set the framerate to what you want it to be
- change Set duration to 'so source frames play at xx fps'

I've read that ffmpeg would also be able to do this.

lajospataki

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 pm

You don't need to transcode them necessarily. (well, transcode them but with original fps)
In your NLE just need to interpret them as 48 fps and you good to go (usually you find this option by right clicking on the media and go for its 'option' or 'settings' or just 'interpret footage')

RobStowell

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:31 pm

I'm in the same boat. Is there something I can do in Resolve to chose the speed the 48fps footage plays at? I'd like to use some as slow motion, but also have some in sync with the audio.
ETA I did try changing the attributes of a clip, but it stayed the same length on the timeline, and just went blank. Its a bit maddening, because there are snippets where someone is talking that I need to use in sync. Most of the rest can be half-speed slow, but these bits need to be in sync. Hopefully I won't have to (if it's even possible?) start a 48fps project, and try to export them as 24fps, hoping the frames will get dropped.

matthiasduyck

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 12:18 pm

lajospataki wrote:You don't need to transcode them necessarily. (well, transcode them but with original fps)
In your NLE just need to interpret them as 48 fps and you good to go (usually you find this option by right clicking on the media and go for its 'option' or 'settings' or just 'interpret footage')

Yes, this is true, but in premiere this means your audio will no longer be in sync, which makes sense. If you don't need that then that is probably the better way to do this. My workflow with compressor brings the audio from the p4k back in sync.(in this case, not slowing it down, as the audio from the p4k runs in real time and cuts out at 50% of the slow motion clip)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Interpretation changes speed. Other way= frame rate conversion which is crazy difficult process. Compressor, AVID, Premiere, Edius etc. it doesn't matter. None can give you some golden solution as such a thing doesn't exist. You either change speed (interpretation method) or do fps conversion using one of few possible methods.
Best is always to avoid any fps conversion as it's always compromise in some way.

Return to Post Production