DPX Camera Raw

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Brian Millbrook

DPX Camera Raw

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 9:34 pm

On Davinci Resolve 15, is it any way to export still shots in DPX format, and send those files for color grading? I export the DPX file, but when the colorist opens the DPX file in Davinci 15, the Camera RAW settings are greyed out, and they can't change anything. What is the best way to fully manipulate the raw DPX still shot? Something I need to do during the export?

Jack Fairley

Re: DPX Camera Raw

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 pm

DPX is not camera raw, it's uncompressed. Give us some information about what media you're working with and what you're trying to accomplish, so we can recommend the correct workflow.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Brian Millbrook

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:DPX is not camera raw, it's uncompressed. Give us some information about what media you're working with and what you're trying to accomplish, so we can recommend the correct workflow.

I'm trying to send a Blackmagic RAW still shot to someone to edit the color of the screenshot. How can I send them a still shot that will allow them to fully interact with the settings? On older versions of Davinci, we would export a DPX screenshot and the colorist would load that DPX file into their machine and color grade. On the older version, they had full control of the raw camera settings and could change the information of the screenshot as if it were the full video clip.

Jack Fairley

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:32 pm

You are probably thinking of sending a single DNG frame. You can do what you want with BRAW as shown in screenshot:
Attachments
still.png
still.png (53.68 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Brian Millbrook

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:You are probably thinking of sending a single DNG frame. You can do what you want with BRAW as shown in screenshot:

Thank you Jack, this is exactly what I was looking for.

RonHumer

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:25 pm

When you export a dpx from gallery there is an additional file that has a .drx that exports with the color information. I guess the program importing it has to be compatible with Davinci Resolve eXchange file format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 3:22 am

You can have a choice of formats from the Gallery, but Export Frame is saving a single frame in Braw, which will probably not be readable by your partner.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 6:10 am

What I can tell the o.p. is that many, many major films are actually color-timed in EXR or DPX format, because it's kind of a "universal" format for live-action shots, transitions, VFX, titles, speed ramps, and other kinds of material. Rather than mix back and forth between (say) R3D and ProRes and BMDRaw and ArriRaw, they just convert every single shot to a common standard like DPX and then use that for the final. There is no loss with a lossless format.

Of course, it's key that these uncompressed DPX shots are done with the correct Raw settings (exposure, color temperature, etc.) to give the colorist enough range to pull the shot in to range for final color. But it's done all the time. There are actually advantage to using a "mezzanine" format like this, since the computer no longer has to decode the Raw while playing it back.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to Post Production