Avid Artist Color, Resolve 15, & Mac Mojave

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

aceshigh

Avid Artist Color, Resolve 15, & Mac Mojave

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 9:53 pm

I am trying to connect my Avid Artist Color (1.1.10) to Resolve 15, running Mojave 10.14.2. After a lengthy installation process where I had to manually set the IP address and Subnet Mask on the control surface and my computer, I finally got it into EuControl (18.3). EuCon is saying that the device and workstation are attached. Resolve is showing up as the current app, but the panel is showing nothing except rectangular bars on the LED display. The panel is not showing up in Resolve preferences under control surfaces.

I'm really stuck here. Has anyone run in to the same/similar problem? I'm a first time Avid control surface user, and Avid support are really difficult to get through to without purchasing a $90 support fee. Thank you!

ryan-braun

Re: Avid Artist Color, Resolve 15, & Mac Mojave

PostTue May 14, 2019 5:06 am

Having the same exact issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MassimoAlbertoCroce

PostThu May 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Mac Studio - 32GB RAM - 32GPU CORE
NVME RAID
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5
MacOs 12.6
BM mini Monitor 3G

Yoav_D

PostWed May 22, 2019 11:00 am

ryan-braun wrote:Having the same exact issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SAME SAME!!

Dermot Shane

PostMon May 27, 2019 2:46 am

i have two artist color/ transport shared between four machines, all are windoze, all are running EUcon 3.21 troublefree

if the surface shows up in EUcon, and Resolve cannot see it, hummmm, that's something i've not had to deal with

i guess the first thing i would do is revert to 3.21, there's nothing changed that effects Color and Transport after that and i know that version is stable and functional

- with Resolve open i would go to EUcontrol and click on the restart option and see if Resolve picks it up, i have to do this once in a while usualy after working in Baselight where i have to bypass EUcontrol, and then when i re-attach the surface to EUcontrol Resolve does not always see it, a restart of EUcontrol sorts that

- try with something else that should work with Color/Transport, RedcineX is free and can be used to test the surface, and then at least that completly rules out a disfunctional connection

- when you have it working, have fun mapping the softkeys as you wish, it's the only surface that can do this

colourdesk

PostFri May 31, 2019 4:59 am

Hi guys,

Sometimes I do a dance with EuControl and Resolve where I quit both apps, launch EUControl and then boot Resolve. Usually this works for me. Other times I cross-check my Network settings.

Currently there is an issue in Resolve 16 Beta and Mojave 10.14.5 where the app looses its connection when switching between applications. It's a bit irritating as the only work-around i know if is to reboot Resolve.

maxslomoff

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:48 pm

I'm having a similar problem: resolve 15, Mojave and avid Artist with eucontrol 19. firmware on the panel has been updated.

on this system, any time I switch applications out of resolve and back, resolve looses the panel and the empty rectangles show up on the panel. the only way to get it back is by restarting either resolve or eucontrol it comes back, but both are a lengthy process.

I used to be able to switch applications back and forth and resolve picked it right back up. I'm thinking this is a Resolve bug because my other apps can switch out and back in and resume control of the panel.

I guess I'll try to downgrade both and see if I can resuscitate that functionality. will update...

Tom Chase

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm curious if there has been any resolution with this issue. I am running a older Mac Pro with Sierra and Resolve 15, I too am losing connection overtime I click out of Resolve, Premier, RedCineX or Pretty much any other software that can access the Artist Color. I'm running the most current install of the drivers too.

Any help would be wonderful, has anyone downgraded and got it working? (How far back do you have to go or can you go since I had to load new firmware when I upgraded the drivers)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Please use Eucon 18.3. That should solve the issue.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dermot Shane

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Dwayne:

is 18.3 for OSX + Resolve stabilty?

any reason to update on windoze machines?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 pm

18.3 is for OSX to fix the issue of Resolve losing control of the panel when focus is changed from Resolve and back.

I'm not aware of any Windows reports of this, but if it were happening on Windows, I'd try 18.3.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Tom Chase

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 9:47 pm

has anyone tried EUCon 19.9 ?

Patrick D.

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 9:11 am

Here is a solution from Avid, which "ECarruth" postet in another thread:

Hey I got a very helpful response back from AVID just now that solved the issue. You need to open Resolve first and establish the connection as normal. Then, while Resolve is running, open the EU Control Preferences and go to the ASSIGN menu and click the "Lock Application to Entire Surface" box. These were greyed out before, and will only be usable if Resolve is already running. I had previously gone into the "System Preferences" on my MAC and opened the EUCON preferences and dragged the Resolve Application into the box ensuring that EUCON had the right path and application assigned to the right Ethernet connections.

Works for me!

Drew Lahat

PostFri May 22, 2020 1:43 am

Tom Chase wrote:has anyone tried EUCon 19.9 ?

Posting from the future...
I think I tried 19.5 and 19.12, and neither worked. Try the latest driver, but for better or worse, EuCon 18.3 was the sweet spot that made this problem go away.

Hey I got a very helpful response back from AVID just now that solved the issue. You need to open Resolve first and establish the connection as normal. Then, while Resolve is running, open the EU Control Preferences and go to the ASSIGN menu and click the "Lock Application to Entire Surface" box...

Nope, without installing the "right" driver, "Lock Application to Entire Surface" didn't work at all. The panel would still freeze every time you switched to another application, and you'd have to restart the panel+EuCon+Resolve to fix. In addition, the page buttons were frozen.

With 18.3, it all works again, including "Lock Application to Entire Surface".

This isn't just Mojave; I'm (still) on OS X 10.13.6. (Resolve 15.3.1)

Also, see the 2 other "sister threads" to this:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=94481
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=97745

Return to DaVinci Resolve