Resolve Crashes on Export when CPU is overclocked

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Zac Gaetano

Resolve Crashes on Export when CPU is overclocked

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Hi all -

Wondering if anyone is running into this issue / has a solution. Currently sporting a i7-7820x , I typically run my system at 4.8 ghz (I have a fully watercooled system, overclocking it properly at safe temps). Resolve instantly crashes when I try and export clips in this mode, once I revert back to stock speeds it runs fine.

Any insight?

Thanks

-Z

MishaEngel

Re: Resolve Crashes on Export when CPU is overclocked

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:55 pm

Your overclock is stable when you do nothing, it is instable when you run a program. Pretty normal.
Overclock a little less till it's stable.
Start with 4.3 all-core and then go up until it's not stable anymore(4.8 GHz max at the moment), clock around 200 MHz back and most of the time you should be okay.

Things you can do to reach a higher overclock:

Delid it and change the TIM between the die and the heat spreader with liquidmetal.
Flatten the outside of the heat spreader (it's often not flat).
Use liquid metal TIM between the heat spreader and the waterblock.

Check Der8auer on youtube, he made a lot of video's how to do this in a save way.

Zac Gaetano

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 am

It crashes on resolve if I'm overclocking to 3.6, it doesn't matter what I clock it to. Will only run with its at stock settings (3.5)

Dermot Shane

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 pm

then run at stock, better off a bit slower and reliable than faster but crashing...

if you need speed, buy into a qualified system, HP with dual xeon's etc etc....

but then you will need to see a return on the investment, in the real world the speed of a monster machine makes little -to- no diff until you hit render, if your machine can ht the basic's of playback 4k @ 24fps

then haveing a stable reliable machine you can walk away from and have master in the morning means more than a slight bump in speed from overclocking to me anyway

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 11:14 am

Zac Gaetano wrote:Hi all -

Wondering if anyone is running into this issue / has a solution. Currently sporting a i7-7820x , I typically run my system at 4.8 ghz (I have a fully watercooled system, overclocking it properly at safe temps). Resolve instantly crashes when I try and export clips in this mode, once I revert back to stock speeds it runs fine.

Any insight?

Thanks

-Z

Stable? How did you check that it's stable? What is your GPU? Did you take into account GPU load during your validation?
Runs some stress test for CPU+GPU at the same time for 24h and then you may be able to tell that it's really stable.
We got a system with overclocked i9-7900X and it was fine in general usage, but any work which pushed CPU and GPU to high usage = blue screen. Company had to replace cooling system and now all runs perfectly and CPU is at 4GHz all the time when stressed (and stays <65C). As Dermot pointed- now I can leave it overnight and be confident that at the morning tasks will be done.

Return to Post Production