Intensity Shuttle Works With HDMI but Not Composite Video?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

bokehraton

Intensity Shuttle Works With HDMI but Not Composite Video?

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi there,

I have an Intensity Shuttle USB and want to archive all of my old 8mm tapes. The Intensity works well when I have HDMI connected (modern camera).

The Intensity doesn't show any input at all when I try to capture 8mm from my old Handycam (using composite video, yellow-video, white-mono sound).

I tested the old Handycam on my TV, and it works fine, so it seems the 8mm camcorder does output video+audio alright.

I have checked the settings on the Intensity, and when I connect the camcorder I select composite for the input on the Intensity. I've also checked the input resolution and other settings.

I also have the vMix software (for streaming, broadcast productions) and was not able to get any input from the camcorder via Intensity that way either. (I tried this to see if it was a problem with the Intensity or perhaps with the software.)

I have the current copy of the software from Black Magic, and again the Intensity works with HDMI inputs. I've done plenty of restarting, reconnecting, using different USB ports on the computer and no luck with composite inputs.

Any ideas?

Thank ya!

bokehraton

Re: Intensity Shuttle Works With HDMI but Not Composite Vide

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Just bumping.

So the Hi8 8mm camcorder plays out to a TV just fine, via Composite video.

But when I connect the camcorder to the Intensity Shuttle, nothing happens.

I can use the Intensity with HDMI sources and it works, so the Shuttle does work.

I have the latest software/driver installed.

Any help is appreciated!

Stewart Fairweather

PostThu Mar 28, 2019 10:47 am

Try a much older version of the Shuttle software.

I have the USB3 one, and once I finally got it to work, the versions of the drivers and software at that time had all the outputs active at the same time, so I could feed from the PC to my Atomos Shogun on the HDMI, and use the Analog output to drive a 34" Sony Trinitron that had been modded to display 16:9 instead of the whole 4:3 screen area.

The Trinitron had pretty accurate colour rendition, better then most LCD's, so It was a pretty good set up,.... until the drivers and outputs got changed so the down-convert was no longer active.

Each output now has to be used one at a time, without the other plugs being connected.

I'd expect the same is true for the inputs, so if you still have the HDMI plugged in, the Shuttle might not even see the Analog inputs.

You could try older versions of the drivers if you've already got all the other leads removed.

I'd also make sure the input device is running before the PC starts, so that when it loads the Shuttle on start up, the shuttle sees the analog inputs are active.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 30, 2019 12:38 pm

It has nothing to do with software versions.

This camcorder probably does not have a stable video sync.. (Sync based on tape sync)

You need a TBC (TimeBaseCorrector) to fix your issues!

Search the forum.. There are a lot of topics about this TBC.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Post Production